Mar 7, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
I once read in Esquire Magazine that no group comes attached to worse hairstyles than men in government. Since I make a point to limit my own comments on hair and coifs and such (ahem) I tend to take Esky at its word.
(You may want to ask the women and children to avert their eyes; some of these images border on the disturbing.)
Big thanks to the clever Noah Davis, who has written for The Wall Street Journal, Goal.com, MLSSoccer.com, NYMag, Wired.com and a whole bunch of other folks, for pointing us toward this bit of time-kill brilliance. (Noah is also an A+ driver when it comes to the intimidating art of steering the wheels on the “wrong” side of the road; I was a passenger one afternoon as he deftly negotiated the tricky highways and byways of South Africa, safely delivering himself and a bunch of fellow journos during World Cup 2010. Well done, young man.)
(Update: I’m a complete cottonheaded ninnymuggins. I thanked Noah Davis for directing me to the list. It got by me, like Meola at the near post, that Noah actually compiled the list. My bad. Even more props extended.)
Names you might find particularly interesting listed among the very Worst Hairstyles: David Beckham, Brek Shea, Tony Meola and Clint Mathis back in his unfortunate Mohawk phase. (Don’t listen to ‘em, Juan Agudelo; your new hawk rocks.)
For me, laments only that bleach blonde-Landon Donovan somehow escaped the list. I’m sure Landon would appreciate a do-over on that one.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public