Mar 9, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
Some quick words on blogging, and on this blog in particular: Being a one-man army on this mad mission ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. I mean, I do make out nicely at the ProSoccerTalk daily luncheon dessert bar, with first and last dibs. But there are drawbacks, too.
It won’t always be this way. We’ll fatten up this skinny puppy of a ProSoccerTalk staff soon enough. It’s on my “to-do” list, believe me.
Meantime, I’m steppin’ lively, trying to keep the content fresh as the Whole Foods organic aisle. We wanted a strong launch this week, so I’m probably sacrificing just a wee parcel of quality for just a skosh more quantity at the moment. As such, I probably hit “send” a bit too soon on my MLS Golden Boot predictions.
I left Portland’s Kris Boyd off the list. Portland owner Merritt “Twitter Trigger” Paulson wasted no time in promising that I’d live to regret that one! All in good fun, of course.
I did consider Boyd. But when your previous stop is a team that I’ve never heard of and cannot possibly pronounce – Turkey’s Eskişehirspor; that one’s surely gonna bamboozle the spell check – it’s bound to hurt your case. I’ve never seen the man play, and since I had to cap the list of candidates somewhere, well, better luck next year, Kris. (Don’t sweat it, my man, there’s no cash prize involved with being named to my list.)
Now, about Thierry Henry: I just blew that one. But no biggie, right? I mean it’s not like the man finished third in MLS goals last year, or just finished an utterly heroic loan spell at one of the world’s power clubs.
Wait. What’s that? Oh, shoot! He DID finish third in MLS goals last year. And DID just write another chapter of his storied Arsenal career. Well … uh … OK, my bad.
I’ll mention my thoughtless transgression to Thierry when I see him this weekend (FC Dallas-New York, Sunday, 3 ET) in the house Uncle Lamar built. I’m sure he feels cut deeply by this troubling omission. But I believe with some work, we can get past it.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games