Mar 13, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Kris Boyd, the Portland Timbers’ new Scottish striker, nailed the game-winning goal. Young Philly goalkeeper Zac MacMath created conversation with one noteworthy moment, while teammate Freddy Adu created a few more talking points for his lack of them. Meanwhile, Monday’s Jeld-Wen crowd added a little more rock to the roll of it all. Well done, all ye of Timbers Army.
But personally, when I think back on Portland’s 3-1 win Monday night over Philadelphia to drop the exclamation point on MLS Round 1, visions of Kalif Alhassan rampaging up and down the Timbers’ right side will be first to fill my mind.
Local investigative agencies may soon open a case file for what the Timber’s young Ghanaian winger did over there to Philly left back Porfirio López. And it wasn’t just wasted effort on Alhassan’s part; there was production on the end of all that abuse.
In the end, Alhassan’s one goal and one assist had plenty to do with Portland’s splashy, season-opening win. Years from now, in a quiet corner of some swell soccer bar, a curious man will ask: Just who did get that first ProSoccerTalk MLS Player of the Week prize? And you will know that it was Alhassan.
“I would say it’s about hard work,” the soft-spoken Alhassan allowed afterward. “We worked hard all preseason. We were ready for this game, and I’m glad we got three points.”
Years from now, in a quiet corner of some swell soccer bar, a curious man will ask: Just who did get that first ProSoccerTalk MLS Player of the Week prize? And you will know that his name was Kalif Alhassan.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement