Mar 21, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
CHIVAS USA: In all honesty, there are a few things to like for Robin Fraser’s Goats, even in Saturday’s game, one dragged down by soggy conditions. The defense and possession was better – but there’s no getting around two consecutive shutouts at home. They need a win. Or at very least a doggone goal, if only to help temporarily allay those growing attendance concerns.
Panic quotient: small backyard grass fire
NEW YORK RED BULLS: Only in New York or Los Angeles would two road losses to quality sides raise such a ruckus. But these are the Red Bulls, and history says if any Major League Soccer club can take a whole bunch of talent and manage, somehow, against all odds, to mangle it into mediocrity, it’s this one. Hence, Hans Backe’s team appears on the debut ProSoccerTalk MLS Panic Quotient (®). Wilman Conde’s return to the back line could help, although Temmu Tainio’s ankle injury and potential midfield absence pushes the PQ slightly higher, because this week’s home opener against Colorado is a “gotta have.”
Panic quotient: Oxygen masks falling in the main cabin; captain says “just a precaution.”
PHILADELPHIA UNION: Peter Nowak’s “worry list” is growing by the day. His young goalkeeper’s confidence must be at low ebb. His veteran center back, Danny Califf, can’t figure out why he was left out of last week’s lineup, a troubling situation, indeed. (And Califf keeps looking for that knee injury Nowak insists the center back has.) The Union just lost a rare home match, and now talented right back Sheanon Williams has been summoned to the Olympic qualifying effort. That’s all against the backdrop of a smoldering angst over Sebastien Le Toux’s unpopular trade and further fan acrimony over Roger Torres’ limited role. Besides all that, things look completely hunky-dory around PPL Park.
Panic quotient: “Your test results are in. The doctor would like to see you immediately.”
- Hyndman stars as U.S. U-20 team downs Myanmar 2-1 to open World Cup play 0
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0
- Blatter’s “Wolf of Wall Street” moment could play out the exact same way 4
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 35
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 1
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Player of the Season 5