Mar 21, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
CHIVAS USA: In all honesty, there are a few things to like for Robin Fraser’s Goats, even in Saturday’s game, one dragged down by soggy conditions. The defense and possession was better – but there’s no getting around two consecutive shutouts at home. They need a win. Or at very least a doggone goal, if only to help temporarily allay those growing attendance concerns.
Panic quotient: small backyard grass fire
NEW YORK RED BULLS: Only in New York or Los Angeles would two road losses to quality sides raise such a ruckus. But these are the Red Bulls, and history says if any Major League Soccer club can take a whole bunch of talent and manage, somehow, against all odds, to mangle it into mediocrity, it’s this one. Hence, Hans Backe’s team appears on the debut ProSoccerTalk MLS Panic Quotient (®). Wilman Conde’s return to the back line could help, although Temmu Tainio’s ankle injury and potential midfield absence pushes the PQ slightly higher, because this week’s home opener against Colorado is a “gotta have.”
Panic quotient: Oxygen masks falling in the main cabin; captain says “just a precaution.”
PHILADELPHIA UNION: Peter Nowak’s “worry list” is growing by the day. His young goalkeeper’s confidence must be at low ebb. His veteran center back, Danny Califf, can’t figure out why he was left out of last week’s lineup, a troubling situation, indeed. (And Califf keeps looking for that knee injury Nowak insists the center back has.) The Union just lost a rare home match, and now talented right back Sheanon Williams has been summoned to the Olympic qualifying effort. That’s all against the backdrop of a smoldering angst over Sebastien Le Toux’s unpopular trade and further fan acrimony over Roger Torres’ limited role. Besides all that, things look completely hunky-dory around PPL Park.
Panic quotient: “Your test results are in. The doctor would like to see you immediately.”
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona