Mar 22, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
Big Important Story of the Day: U.S. Soccer officials have been quite superstitious about it, and sometimes even a little uppity in their reminders: “It’s not an Olympic Team! We don’t have an Olympic team, because we haven’t qualified for the Olympics, see? It’s an under-23 team.” OK, well, the U.S. under-23 team begins its quest to become a official U.S. Olympic team tonight in Nashville. (And if you’re going, you might bring an umbrella.)
(Other) Big Important Story of the Day: Reinforcements arrive as the ProSoccerTalk staff doubles in size! Details ahead. (And there’s even more coming as we fatten up this skinny puppy of a blog.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Desmond Armstrong
Twitter dab: From Brek Shea (@BrekShea), who clearly is finding ways to break the tension before tonight’s Olympic qualifier opening match: “I love the price is right. @DrewFromTV kills it!”
Ahead on the blog today*: Olympic upsets can and do happen; A fan’s view of the Red Bulls season to date, and; some of Arlo White’s crafty work ahead of tomorrow night’s MLS match in Seattle.
What we should all be watching: As noted, CONCACAF group play begins in Nashville. As for finding it on your TV … good luck with all that. (More later today on how to do it.)
PST background noise while blogging today: MLS Extra Time radio. I hear Jonah “Enchilada” Freedman will be on this one. Dude knows his stuff, and he can put away some Tex-Mex! Believe me.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Americans Abroad Preview: Guzan, Howard face tests; Bundesliga opens 0
- Balotelli flies to Liverpool for medical, but won’t play against Man City 6
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The Benefit of Mid-Week Edition 0
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 6
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 9