Mar 25, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Man of the Match: When he had his early second half penalty saved, Kei Kamara looked set for another “everything but the goal” performance. In the 88th minute, that changed, and deservedly so, as Kamara stabbed a Chance Myers pass past Kevin Hartman for the game-winning goal.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Kansas City showed why they’re the favorite in the East. Graham Zusi’s distribution from the middlle (or, from dead balls, as was the case on the first goal) can take advantage of Kei Kamara’s skills, Chance Myers’ ability to blaze forward, and C.J. Sapong’s strength in the middle. With the exception of Sapong’s, all those qualities were needed for the game-winner.
- On the other flank, however, you have to wonder if Bobby Convey’s going to work. The former Earthquake left-sider was a non-factor, and he seems a poor fit for the system Peter Vermes has deployed. At left back? Sure. That would be great! At his preferred, left midfield role? Perhaps in a 4-4-2, but not in KC’s system, where he’s playing a more advanced position. He needs to play left back or not at all.
- Roger Espinoza has a (voted on) reputation as a dirty player, but on Sunday, he was refreshingly clinical with his tackles – a smart, steadying influence in the middle.
- The same can not be said for KC’s back line. All four defenders were guilty of one atrocious foul. Seth Sinovic left a foot in on Blas Perez in the 11th minute. Aurelien Collin ran through the elevated Panamanian at midfield, putting a shoulder into the Dallas forward’s lower back (and sending him to ground). Chance Myers nearly sent Ricardo Villar with a yellow-drawing challenge, and Matt Besler’s cynical foul through the back of Andrew Jacobson’s leg could have seriously hurt the former Golden Bear.
- Speaking of Jacobson, Dallas continues to see the benefits (present and future) from their implied swap of him for former Dallas-favorite Dax McCarty. Jacobson’s calm and physical presence in midfield continue to be a good pairing with Daniel Hernández, with the tandem set to truly pay-off once David Ferreira makes a full return to the team.
- Although he didn’t get any decent chances on goal, Blas Perez continues to show why he was one of the most under-appreciated acquisitions of the winter. Everybody knew he’d physically be a handful for MLS defenses, but today, the challenges he posed Besler and Collin resulted from his movement and passing. In the first half, he went wide (to the right of Collin), chased down a diagonal ball, and made two more small plays in the sequence to create a chance for Bryan Leyva. In the second half, his backheel flick wide to Jair Benitez put the Colombian behind a high KC line, the defender-cum-midfielder’s resulting ball through the six nearly giving Jacobson a go-ahead goal.
- Quietly, this was a very impressive performance by KC. It’s three points from a good side, one that played a rather defensive lineup. From the mid-point of the first half, KC controlled the game, though it look liked an experienced FCD squad would hold out for a point. The execution of the game-winning goal was eye-opening, the timing of which showing KC can generate goals when they’re needed most, and against one of the league’s better defenses. That says a lot.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
- Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid, rejects new contract 0
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 1
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 6