Mar 26, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
For Manchester United, today’s contest at fabled Old Trafford is a chance to put just a smidgen of top-of-the-table breathing room on the “noisy neighbors,” Manchester City. For Fulham, safely north of the relegation zone and unable to move up into top-six territory, it’s a chance to put a memorable bruise on the Premiership’s glamour team.
For the rest of us? Looks like another chance to contribute to the ongoing Clint Dempsey debate: Should he stay or should he go now?
Manchester United is among the teams mentioned when supporters debate Dempsey’s future, whether the Texan is better to retain local-legend status at Fulham or exploit burgeoning interest and make a major move to greener land.
Fulham manager Martin Jol stirred the pot just a little over the weekend, admitting that Dempsey and a couple of his highly sought teammates may be hard keep this summer. Sounds like Jol is already formulating “Plan B.”
Dempsey, meanwhile, sounds quite business-like about it all, preferring to watch the road in front of him and not look too far ahead. After all, Fulham did lose at home last week, and no one around Craven Cottage feels great about that.
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 2
- Philadelphia’s Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 3
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 1
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago