Mar 26, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Good goal scorers – oh, who are we kidding here – “great” goal scorers make things look so ridiculous easy. Of course we know better. Logically, if it was such a cinch to regularly dent the net, you could pay mailman wages and probably round up competent takers at the local park on Saturday mornings.
You wouldn’t need to pay someone like Thierry Henry such a princely sum to do the deed.
It’s not easy. It’s just that he makes it look so. Watch the goal below. Half the MLS strikers can’t locate that channel and separate himself from the back four with such impeccable timing.
Of those, three out of four couldn’t pick that ball out of the air and still retain the initiative. That is, they might make the trap, but only the savviest of thoughtful touches leaves the ball right in the sweet spot, ahead in the play, just far enough away from the pursuing defender.
So, only a few MLS strikers could manage the set-up. From there, maybe only a couple could twist himself so nimbly, opening up his hips while maintaining sufficient balance to get the perfect body position, and to swing a ball just inside the near post.
That was goal No. 2 on the afternoon for Henry, as the fabulously talented Frenchman also added an assist in removing some serious pressure off his Red Bulls in a 4-1 romp over Colorado.
That’s why the club pays Henry more than $5 million a year.
And that’s why he’s the ProSoccerTalk MLS Player of the Week.
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 0
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 0
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 0
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0