Mar 26, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
Good goal scorers – oh, who are we kidding here – “great” goal scorers make things look so ridiculous easy. Of course we know better. Logically, if it was such a cinch to regularly dent the net, you could pay mailman wages and probably round up competent takers at the local park on Saturday mornings.
You wouldn’t need to pay someone like Thierry Henry such a princely sum to do the deed.
It’s not easy. It’s just that he makes it look so. Watch the goal below. Half the MLS strikers can’t locate that channel and separate himself from the back four with such impeccable timing.
Of those, three out of four couldn’t pick that ball out of the air and still retain the initiative. That is, they might make the trap, but only the savviest of thoughtful touches leaves the ball right in the sweet spot, ahead in the play, just far enough away from the pursuing defender.
So, only a few MLS strikers could manage the set-up. From there, maybe only a couple could twist himself so nimbly, opening up his hips while maintaining sufficient balance to get the perfect body position, and to swing a ball just inside the near post.
That was goal No. 2 on the afternoon for Henry, as the fabulously talented Frenchman also added an assist in removing some serious pressure off his Red Bulls in a 4-1 romp over Colorado.
That’s why the club pays Henry more than $5 million a year.
And that’s why he’s the ProSoccerTalk MLS Player of the Week.
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0