Mar 28, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
MLS Commissioner Don Garber has reacted strongly to Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark’s anti-gay language, suspending Clark for three games and fining him an undisclosed amount.
Here is the main substance of the just-released league announcement:
MLS Commissioner Don Garber has suspended Clark for three games and fined him an undisclosed amount for using unacceptable and offensive language towards a ball boy in the seventh minute of the game in Seattle on Friday, March 24. Commissioner Garber also mandated that Clark attend diversity and sensitivity training. This is in addition to the training that all MLS clubs attend at the beginning of each season.
“Major League Soccer will not tolerate this type of behavior from its players or staff at any time, under any circumstances,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said. “Colin Clark has expressed sincere remorse for his actions and I believe that he will learn from this incident.”
The full story from Major League Soccer’s MLSSoccer.com is here.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?