Mar 28, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
We’ve already dropped the knowledge and science on Parts II and III; here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers right now in MLS:
6. Chicago Fire – Glass half-full: Four points of a possible six has the Fire on the very same bullet train track that Frank Klopas’ crew finished on late last year. Glass half empty: This fearsome foursome of points came against expansion Montreal and a reeling Philadelphia Union. This week’s road test at Colorado will tell us more.
5. Houston Dynamo – Odd match, last Friday in a 2-0 loss at Seattle. The Dynamo was in control in the hostile CenturyLink Field, and yet found themselves down by a pair inside the first half. Manager Dominic Kinnear said he was happy for things other than 10 minutes that went sideways. Still, all things considered, the Orange can be quite pleased with two wins from three matches on the road to start 2012.
4. Los Angeles Galaxy – The big news out of AEG Valley last week was an announced friendly for this July against touring Tottenham Hotspur. The team had a week off; New England visits the Home Depot Center this week.
3. Real Salt Lake – A disallowed goal for the home side in a 1-0 surprise setback has been a talker around MLS this week. A top MLS executive says referee Mark Kadlecik got it right. Still, questions linger about removing an attacking team’s advantage in such situations.
2. Seattle Sounders – Whether you think David Estrada’s deflected strike should be marked down as “own goal” or “another one for the kid,” Seattle’s young man is clearly brimming with confidence. Same with the team, tied with Vancouver atop the Western Conference table with San Jose making the northern hop this weekend. The keen eye of Seattle Times’ writer Joshua Mayers was particularly high last week on Marc Burch, who seems to be establishing himself as Sigi Schmid’s top choice left back.
1. Sporting Kansas City – The Kansas City Star’s Charles Gooch has some deliciously revealing numbers on the stacked-and-packed attack at Livestrong. For example, Sporting KC has outshot each opponent this season by a double-digit margin: plus-16 vs. D.C. United, plus-10 vs. New England and plus-10 in Sunday’s win over FC Dallas. So it’s not just that Peter Vermes’ men are a perfect 9 of 9 from possible points this year; the Midwest side is seriously pressing the opposition. Chivas USA is up this week in Southern California.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Employees have been disciplined and now Cardiff owner Vincent Tan is after a former employee.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
With Brendan Rodgers having steered Liverpool to unthinkable Premier League heights, Arsene Wenger believes the deciders should instead look to the league’s trenches to give out its postseason award.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Week one of the NWSL season sees Seattle atop of the league, but an import from Spain snagged her own headlines for Western New York.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 3
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6