Mar 28, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
We’ve already dropped the knowledge and science on Parts II and III; here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers right now in MLS:
6. Chicago Fire – Glass half-full: Four points of a possible six has the Fire on the very same bullet train track that Frank Klopas’ crew finished on late last year. Glass half empty: This fearsome foursome of points came against expansion Montreal and a reeling Philadelphia Union. This week’s road test at Colorado will tell us more.
5. Houston Dynamo – Odd match, last Friday in a 2-0 loss at Seattle. The Dynamo was in control in the hostile CenturyLink Field, and yet found themselves down by a pair inside the first half. Manager Dominic Kinnear said he was happy for things other than 10 minutes that went sideways. Still, all things considered, the Orange can be quite pleased with two wins from three matches on the road to start 2012.
4. Los Angeles Galaxy – The big news out of AEG Valley last week was an announced friendly for this July against touring Tottenham Hotspur. The team had a week off; New England visits the Home Depot Center this week.
3. Real Salt Lake – A disallowed goal for the home side in a 1-0 surprise setback has been a talker around MLS this week. A top MLS executive says referee Mark Kadlecik got it right. Still, questions linger about removing an attacking team’s advantage in such situations.
2. Seattle Sounders – Whether you think David Estrada’s deflected strike should be marked down as “own goal” or “another one for the kid,” Seattle’s young man is clearly brimming with confidence. Same with the team, tied with Vancouver atop the Western Conference table with San Jose making the northern hop this weekend. The keen eye of Seattle Times’ writer Joshua Mayers was particularly high last week on Marc Burch, who seems to be establishing himself as Sigi Schmid’s top choice left back.
1. Sporting Kansas City – The Kansas City Star’s Charles Gooch has some deliciously revealing numbers on the stacked-and-packed attack at Livestrong. For example, Sporting KC has outshot each opponent this season by a double-digit margin: plus-16 vs. D.C. United, plus-10 vs. New England and plus-10 in Sunday’s win over FC Dallas. So it’s not just that Peter Vermes’ men are a perfect 9 of 9 from possible points this year; the Midwest side is seriously pressing the opposition. Chivas USA is up this week in Southern California.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
FC Dallas took the lead into halftime, but a second half red card to Blas Perez let Colorado sneak back for a point.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Tony Pulis is known for turning around struggling clubs, but the West Brom manager says he is more than just a last resort.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
David Accam’s first MLS goal was enough for Chicago to down a NYCFC side that played more than 60 minutes a man down.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?
Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.
UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus
Apr 24, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
Former Barca boss Guardiola is heading back to the Nou Camp for the UCL semis.
Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0