Mar 29, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
I’ve never understood the discontent in some corners over U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati. He’s not perfect, and I’ve publicly disagreed with Gulati’s stances or decisions here and there.
But in general, Gulati is a smart guy who does a commendable job of balancing myriad interests.
That’s my opinion. I know a lot of people disagree, and the frustration level spikes whenever a United States national team crashes short of its presumed birthright destination. Suddenly, in some corners, it’s all Gulati’s fault.
While we’re at it, let’s blame the man for outsize corporate tax loopholes and pathogens in our drinking water.
But why listen to me? I’ve said it before. Even I get tired of listening to me. It’s utterly exhausting.
So listen to Alexi Lalas, who just delivered his latest “Shot.” This one is about some recent comments from Bruce Arena. Arena’s words seem directed toward Gulati, a man who dismissed Arena after the 2006 World Cup.
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago