Mar 31, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Since those early struggles, Zac MacMath has settled down nicely in Philadelphia’s goal. The 20-year-old ‘keeper has allowed just one ball past him in the last two weeks. He didn’t need to make many saves Saturday, but did have lots to do in controlling his penalty area, getting off the line confidently again and again to deliver critical catches, punches or interventions. His instincts and positioning were perfect.
Packaged for take-away:
- Joe Cannon had a nice match, too, in the other goal. His only flaw: twice he nearly put the Whitecaps in big trouble with sloppy footwork on balls played back to him.
- There have been two scoreless draws in MLS this year; Vancouver has been part of both.
- Union forward Lionard Pajoy was full of hard work and smart runs. But Philadelphia didn’t bring him to PPL Park for “hard work and smart runs.” They need goals from their new striker.
- Then again, some of it isn’t his fault. It’s hard to see what the Union attack is all about. It’s not really about getting wide and supplying crosses. It’s not about counter attacking. It’s not about slow-build and possession, or not about playing into a target. The real problem is…
- Philly needs a playmaker something fierce. They’ve got something of one in Freddy Adu, who was on Saturday’s game-day roster.
- Union manager Peter Nowak made three offensive-minded substitutions, but without that playmaker or an obvious attacking plan, there just weren’t enough quality chances.
- Vancouver looked quite dangerous on the counter, especially in the first half. Sebastien Le Toux came close a couple of times Saturday, but the goal in his noted return to PPL Park never happened.
- Chandler Hoffman’s starting debut, as a left midfielder for Philadelphia, turned into 50 minutes of “not good, not bad, nothing special” for the first-round draft pick.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
22-year-old will complete his $108 million move and be introduced at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
A Davies-for-Sigurdsson swap and the purchase of the Ecudorian winger will give Garry Monk a glut of options in attacking midfield.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
While six World Cup stars will miss the tour, the Citizens still bring a talented squad to the U.S.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
The Spanish midfielder is expected to return to Spain this week to finalize his departure from the club.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Honduran midfielder will miss six to eight months.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Group is pushing for a $160-$200 million venue, claiming to be on MLS’s “short list.”
Jul 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
The 17-year-old potential U.S. international played along side Aaron Ramsey and About Diaby on Saturday.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
How does a player who snared four goals in two games miss out? Robbie Keane came up just short.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The findings were due in late July, but will have to wait. Will Qatar and Russia hold onto their World Cup hosting duties?
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Those in New Jersey and Portland could see a whole lot of Julian Green in the next couple weeks.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Relive five of Stevie G’s best goals over his 14-year England career.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
An amusing video of NYC accents atop the US national anthem gives Arsenal a victory in viral video.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will Wazza take the armband from Stevie G? Not so fast, there are some other chaps to contemplate first…
Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No goals for Americans south of the border, but there was plenty of actions as the 2014 Apertura took its first steps.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
What makes an MLS franchise great? Who is the greatest? Is there a right or wrong answer?
Jul 21, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Former World Cup winning captain to be handed the reins for second time in four years.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
“Football at Fenway” will have a fine follow-up, as American international Holden joins the doubleheader broadcast of San Jose and Chicago from Buck Shaw Stadium.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Will Drogba return to Stamford Bridge this summer?
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Another veteran departs Old Trafford, as Evra signs for Juventus.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After 14 years playing for the Three Lions, Gerrard calls it quits.
- James Rodriguez to be unveiled by Real Madrid on Tuesday, join club for U.S. tour 1
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 7
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10