Apr 1, 2012, 4:55 PM EST
Saturday was a strange animal in MLS, a rare days of road rules. So to speak.
Visitors went 4-1-1, as Columbus, San Jose, Real Salt Lake and New England all prevailed away from home. (Vancouver managed a scoreless draw in Philly.)
That’s a remarkable degree of road achievement in a league where home teams won or tied 78 percent of the time last year.
Here’s the really important thing to remember about these matches: yes, we’re still quite early in the season. It’s just Round 4 of 34. But you know what they say, how they all count the same.
These are the matches that MLS clubs and their supporters tend to look back on in September, when playoff races get tight, or when the difference in a Supporters Shield chase is coming down to precious points or even goal difference.
If Los Angeles gets its defensive act together, for instance, and starts stacking up some points in the standings, they’ll look back on yesterday’s awful effort against New England as a key moment of opportunity lost.
Toronto FC, so desperate for its first playoff berth, will find it difficult to think about those two consecutive home losses in March, including yesterday’s loss to Columbus. The Portland Timbers will just hate themselves for losing an 88th minute lead at Jeld-Wen. That one hurts a lot already; if a tight playoff race happens this fall, the scars of that one will turn particularly hideous.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"