Apr 2, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
Personally, I can’t figure out whether it’s yesterday, today or tomorrow in the far Eastern reaches where the U.S. women’s national team currently finds itself.
So, I’m delighted to know that someone like Jenna Pel is around, a cop on the beat, filling in all the important details.
While the U.S. men’s national team breaths easy, prepping for busier times ahead in about six weeks or so, the women’s team continues polishing and fine-tuning ahead of the London 2012 games.
Sunday saw Pia Sunhage’s side in Sendai, rallying for a 1-1 draw against Japan to open the inaugural Kirin Challenge Cup. The game report is here from U.S. Soccer, along with additional quotes from Hope Solo, Heather O’Reilly, Sundhage and others.
But if you really want to be the smartest person in the room on all matters of USWNT and women’s soccer in general, Pel’s All White Kit is the place to turn.
For instance, she adds perspective on Alex Morgan’s outrageous scoring tear. Says Pel:
She’s now scored 12 goals in 2012 alone, two more than she did in 2011 and 2010 combined. She’s also scored 10 of the U.S.’s last 18 goals. Not quite Celia da Mbabi Okoyino numbers (who has scored 10 goals in her last three appearances for Germany), but still quite impressive. Today’s goal brings her up to 19th on the all-time USWNT list, tying her with Shannon Boxx on 22 total.
How’s that for a 22-year-old? There’s a little more on Boxx, too, and her dogged efforts not to be beaten by a potentially debilitating disease.
- Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago