Apr 3, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
If you can’t find a big-time soccer match on July 28 near our national’s capital, then you really aren’t trying very hard.
Washington Post ace Steven Goff has the story, as AC Milan, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, D.C. United and a major Italian club will come together in something that looks like soccer’s version of multi-stage Bonnaroo. They’ll play matches in Baltimore and at FedEx Field outside D.C. on that date.
Stay on the lookout for more matches with Euro biggies to be announced.
Tottenham Hotspur just announced splashy matches against the LA Galaxy and New York Red Bulls as part of its pre-season prep. Spain’s Valencia will visit Houston for a match at brand new BBVA Compass Stadium.
Last year, Manchester United, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Sporting (Portugal), Club America, Chivas de Guadalajara, Barcelona all took part in last year’s World Football Challenge across the United States.
There is a little more here than just fancy passing and trapping; there is a whiff of guerrilla marketing at work here. Goff nibbles at the question in his piece; I’ll check back later with more on it.
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 1
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Garcia's fried chicken jibe inappropriate, Tiger says
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team