Apr 3, 2012, 7:15 AM EST
Birthdays of note: Scarf yourself in Timbers green today and toast the 25th birthday of Portland midfielder Sal Sizzo.
Big Important Stories of the Day: The U.S. women played during the wee smalls, over in Japan against Brazil. We already know the result – but we’ll keep that one to ourselves for now. Some of you surely tapped the DVR for this one, being in the wee smalls and all.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Pele
Twitter dap: Herculez Gomez (@herculezg), public Tweet to Clint Dempsey: @clint_dempsey what up hommie! Keep doing your thing. I’m going to come out and visit in June.. Europa here I come.
Clint Dempsey (@clint_dempsey) in reply: @herculezg I won’t be here bro. I’ll be back in the states. Also you might have some games with the USMNT man. Put them plans on hold. Ha
What we should all be watching on TV: Barcelona and AC Milan take their UEFA Champions League series back to the Camp Nou following last week’s scoreless draw at the slippery San Siro. A goal for the Italians could change everything. (2:30 pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel). Bayern-Marseille follows (tape delay, 5 p.m. ET, FSC)
Ahead on the blog today*: MLS Panic Quotient, checking up on the U.S. women’s result and (later this afternoon) on those second-leg Champions League quarterfinal results.
PST background noise while blogging today: Everything / anything leading up to today’s Champions League matches.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 4
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014