Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Boyd out after injury in Queens Park Rangers friendly.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
He may be one of the best soccer players the planet has ever seen, but Messi is not above the law.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Arsenal splash the cash to sign 19-year-old Southampton academy graduate.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Did Remy fail a medical at Liverpool? ‘Arry isn’t buying it.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Clegg, Downing Street, discuss Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
If you use the hashtag #AskJesus, expect to get results like this.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Atletico add Griezmann to partner Mandzukic in new-look attack.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
Arsenal may be taking a “gamble” but it certainly paid off the last two times they bought teenagers from Southampton.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Raul Fernandez held Vancouver to a draw while Portland won a 3-2 barnburner with Montreal.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
This may not be as toast as it first appeared.
Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
With Thibaut Courtois hot on his trail, Petr Cech isn’t about to let the youngster’s hype get in the way of his 11-year Chelsea career.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
AC Milan got hosed, but Mario Balotelli had some fun as a second-half substitute.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
It may have been in jest, but Roberto Martinez has set rumors alight.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Lovern becomes the third Southampton player to move to Liverpool this summer.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
AC Milan got thumped for the second straight US preseason friendly. What does it mean?
Jul 27, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Having played under Redknapp for 2 years at Spurs, the QPR boss wants him back.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
With a good World Cup, Spurs has affirmed the importance of Jan Vertonghen’s presence to their back line.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Pjanic is good at kicking – all kinds of it.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
What Italy needs is an FIGC president that works to prevent racism, not one that uses racist terms when referring to players from elsewhere.
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 0
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 1