Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT
Go inside the Manchester Derby match day experience with a pair of supporter groups.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
The Manchester City winger was sent home quickly from the hospital and he confirmed the “tests have gone well.”
Apr 19, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
The Manchester City manager wouldn’t be drawn into questions about his future at the club.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
Spurs bracketed halftime with a pair of goals and they stood tall to Newcastle’s spotty threat.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
Villa will play Arsenal in the FA Cup final after beating Liverpool against all the odds.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Mourinho plays up defensive masterclass. But how did he quell United’s attackers?
Apr 19, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
Spurs search for a European place as they take on struggling Newcastle from St. James’ Park.
Apr 19, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
The home side produced enough moments at the Etihad to see off a timid West Ham side.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
With his goal of an Eredivisie title secure, Memphis Depay will be a popular transfer target this coming summer.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
The West Ham defender flubbed an easy clearance and sent the ball into his own net as Manchester City have dominated West Ham in the first half.
Apr 19, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
Thomas Tuchel will follow in Jurgen Klopp’s footsteps for the second time when he takes over at Borussia Dortmund this summer.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:52 AM EDT
A pair of slipping sides meet at the Etihad in a rematch of last seasons title-clinching win for Manchester City.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
It’s that time of year, where big clubs look to the bench to replace important players in big games.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:14 AM EDT
Keeping tabs on all the action from Week 7 of the 2015 MLS season.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Late, late, late drama as the StubHub Center.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:39 PM EDT
Two red cards for RSL, a late goal for Vancouver and the Whitecaps just keep winning.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Do the top teams have a responsibility to entertain, or should they look to win at all costs, no matter how boring it may be?
Apr 18, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
Crew SC are going to be a really, really scary team once they get going. They picked up a great deal of steam on Saturday night.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Not the ideal time for a pair of key players to go down in the same game, four days before a CL quarterfinal second leg.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
New week, same story, new teams on top, same old excitement — the Championship is truly amazing this year.
- Aston Villa 2-1 Liverpool: Gerrard denied fairytale ending as Villa stun Reds, reach FA Cup final 2
- Jose Mourinho: Chelsea had Manchester United’s stars “in our pockets.” Is he right? 0
- Manchester City 2-0 West Ham: Two first half goals put down poor Hammers 0
- Borussia Dortmund names Thomas Tuchel as Jurgen Klopp’s successor 0
- MLS roundup: Goals galore as Sounders, Crew SC, Galaxy cruise to three points 1
- MLS Snapshot: LA Galaxy 2-1 Sporting Kansas City 0