Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Ronaldo, Benzema and co. put on a clinic at Anfield, as Liverpool are taught a lesson.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
After 10 years with the club, Gourlay has stepped down.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0