Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The Premier League’s big boys each play once more in the USA before heading back to England for the start of the new season.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Afellay makes four ex-Blaugranas on the books at Stoke, where Mark Hughes is aiming for European qualification.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
As Bayern chase their fourth straight Bundesliga title (it would be a first), Mats Hummels says the league’s other teams need to stop fearing them.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Drogba has arrived in MLS, and he even got to choose which team he’ll play for — kinda.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Cyle Larin bagged his first pro hat trick on Sunday, somehow outshining David Villa at Yankee Stadium.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Villa, Giovinco, Finlay and more — this week’s MLS Team of the Week.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
The first of three newly promoted sides, do the Cherries have what it takes to stay in the Premier League?
Jul 27, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
JPW dissects the top deals, discusses which clubs have done the best business and which need to get a shift on.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Plenty of preseason action continues out in the Far East.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Can Sherwood rejuvenate Villa and show progress is being made? Losing Benteke and Delph will hurt his chances of doing that.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Here are the latest rumors from around the soccer world.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:06 AM EDT
SWP and BWP in MLS for RBNY.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
El Tri boss could be in a lot of trouble if these reports are true.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
LVG isn’t afraid of telling it like it is. Not at all.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Can the Gunners improve on their third-place finish from last season?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Red Devils sign another goalkeeper as the David de Gea saga rumbles on.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
It’s been an ugly tournament for El Tri, but they showed up ready to play in the finals.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Arsenal won its second preseason trophy, while Romelu Lukaku logged a hat-trick for the Toffees.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
The French youth international impressed in the friendly against Wolfsburg, and Arsene Wenger wants him to stick around the Gunneres’ system.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Banged up Mexico takes on rigid Jamaica in a scintillating Gold Cup final matchup.
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 1
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 6
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Arsenal 9
- Mexico 3-1 Jamaica: El Tri overpowers Cinderella story to win Gold Cup 30
- Frank Lampard ruled out of MLS All-Star game 2