Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
The Houston Dynamo downed Sporting Kansas City, 3-1, at Sporting Park on Friday night.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Will Bruin’s close-range finish put Houston ahead of Sporting Kansas City, 1-0.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Orlando City SC midfielder Yordany Alvarez retired from professional soccer because of a medical condition.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Paulo Bento didn’t name Cristiano Ronaldo in his squad for Portugal’s Euro 2016 qualifier vs. Albania in early September.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Watch the MLS match between Sporting Kansas City and the Houston Dynamo live on NBCSN.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
A new system would benefit domestic club winners by separating the teams into different pots.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Louis van Gaal thinks Luke Shaw has been coping with his injury problems well.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Arsenal manager will remain quiet to the media until the transfer window closes as rumors swirl around the Emirates.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Alessandro Del Piero is going to the Indian Super League’s Dehli Dynamos, bringing to surface political debate in Italy.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The defending champions will look to open the season with three straight wins as Stoke City visit the Etihad.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Southampton may acquire Brek Shea via loan.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Wrapping up our journey through the Premier League with the last five alphabetical names out of the 20-flight teams.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
The one-time largest transfer in Premier League history is moving to Italy on loan, the Stamford Bridge club confirmed today.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
News from the senior teams for the United States men and women comes across the web this Friday afternoon. What’s cooking? Head inside.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Brendan Rodgers liked what he saw in training from the club’s newest signing, but says the troubled Italian must change his ways at Liverpool.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
The Old Lady went an absurd 33W-3D-2L last season, busting No. 2 AS Roma in the nose by a meager 27 points.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
A Diego Costa injury could hurt Chelsea’s chances as the Toffees look to rebound from a tough draw against Arsenal.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle, PSG and Arsenal all make the transfer churner to end the workweek.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Can Paul Lambert and Roy Keane convince the midfielder to come to Villa Park?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
LVG says the addition of ADM won’t change his approach to building how United plays soccer.
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 1
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 1
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2