Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
May 28, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
The U-20 World Cup kicks off late Thursday night (US time). Get yourself caught up on what — and who — to watch.
May 28, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
Landing Ancelotti would be the best thing AC Milan have done in years.
May 28, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Sunil Gulati is putting his not only talking the talk, but walking the walk, with regard to much-needed reform in world soccer.
May 28, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Bob Ley joins the Men in Blazers to talk about the FIFA arrests and decades of corruption inside world football’s governing body.
May 28, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
With the 2014-15 season in the books, clubs are already busy making moves for next season. Where should each club focus their efforts (and $$$)?
May 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Going over the highs and lows, the surprises and disappointments, plus much more from the PL season that was, here’s the latest PST Extra.
May 28, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Remember these 10 matches from the 2014-15 season? Here’s highlights from them all.
May 28, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Burnley and Chelsea will find their names often amongst the top stat men in the Premier League this season.
May 28, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Liverpool legend will be heading to California soon, says Bruce Arena.
May 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
FIFA’s long-time president has addressed the congress in Zurich about the shocking allegations of corruption.
May 28, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
UEFA to discuss possibility of walking away from FIFA in Berlin next month.
May 28, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
UEFA’s chief pleads with Blatter to walk away as world soccer’s governing body is in ruins.
May 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
PHOTOS & VIDEO: Women’s players are available in the FIFA video game series for the first time.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Valencia, Liverpool boss has called time in Naples as his hometown is calling.
May 28, 2015, 7:51 AM EDT
The Russian president finds it “odd” that the FBI is chasing down FIFA officials…
May 28, 2015, 12:53 AM EDT
Juninho’s early PK is all the Galaxy need, as they climb to 4th in the Western Conference. RSL, meanwhile, are on the outside looking in.
May 28, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
17 MLS teams will entire this year’s US Open Cup in the 4th round. On Wednesday, they learned who they’ll face.
May 28, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Wins in May don’t get much more “must-win” than this one. PDX tops the East’s top team.
May 27, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
According to his agent, Balotelli is going nowhere this summer. He’ll stay and fight for his place next season.
May 27, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
11 current and former officials from around the world have been provisionally banned from all football-related activities.
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 0
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 5
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 2
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 4
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4