Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
6. Colorado Rapids – Jeff Larentowicz’s return from suspension, along with the club’s return to DSG Park, had the predictable, stabilizing effects in a 2-0 win over Chicago. Center back steady-eddies Drew Moor and Marvell Wynne continue to lead the way. But the smooth midfield operating of newcomer Martin Rivero was the real revelation from Sunday’s win, which kept the Rapids right on top of the Western table.
5. San Jose Earthquakes – The penalty kick in a win over Seattle was certainly soft, but all credit to Frank Yallop’s side for seeing out its second road win of 2012. Sam Cronin and Rafael Baca look terrific in center of the park, while Shea Salinas and Marvin Chavez are making life difficult for opposition on the wings. The reward for two big wins on the road is a home match against Vancouver in a matchup of two defenses on top of things.
4. Houston Dynamo – Houston had a weekend off, which means a rare weekend at home for the South Texas side stuck on this extended road trip. Dominic Kinnear takes his team north to Chicago this week. They’ll have to deal with Adam Moffat’s absence, as the important midfield enforcement arm serves his one-game disciplinary suspension. Further midfield depletion comes in Colin Clark’s suspension.
3. Seattle Sounders – Cracks were showing last time out at CenturyLink Field, when Houston made such a good account but couldn’t make it count on the scoreboard. So last week’s loss at home to San Jose can’t be a complete surprise. There’s very good news around the Sound, however, as Steve Zakuani got into a weekend reserve match and Eddie Johnson nears his own return to full health.
2. Real Salt Lake – Jason Kreis’ team certainly will win more games in 2012, but how many will be more memorable than the smash-and-grab job Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field? Trailing by a goal in the 88th minute, Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman came shining through for a mighty win. That’s two wins from two road matches for RSL.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Quick question – which is more impressive: That Sporting Kansas City is 10-2-3 its last 15 matches (including playoffs)? Or that Sporting Kansas City has begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time ever? … Never mind, that’s a silly question. Both speak pretty well for things around Livestrong Sporting Park. And speaking of impressive, Graham Zusi leads the league with five assists, while Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above) shares the league lead with three shutouts.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
The Timbers’ postseason aspirations are hanging in the balance, but this 2-0 win over FC Dallas has certainly put them in a nice spot.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Final: New England Revolution 1, Toronto FC 0
Oct 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
AS Roma defender Ashley Cole has drawn the interest of MLS teams once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo praises manager Louis van Gaal and is convinced that the 63-year-old will lead Manchester United to its former glory.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Short recap and highlights of Saturday’s Round 9 Premier League matches.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
With three games on the slate, here’s what you can look forward to on Sunday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Final: Montreal Impact 1, D.C. United 1
Oct 25, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Fire are seeking to bolster the strength of their roster, examining the possible signing of ex-Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jaime O’Hara.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
A sleepy game for over an hour, Seattle and L.A. used the last hour to stage a contest worthy of a trophy-winning event.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Pique speaks of his handball in Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid: “It was unintentional.”
Oct 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
The L.A. Galaxy and Seattle Sounders are scoreless through 45 minutes at CenturyLink in Washington.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Leeds United have fired manager Darko Milanic after only 32 days leading the squad.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Several fun games whet the appetite for a massive top of table Sunday tilt between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
With six games on Saturday in the PL, here’s what happened.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Wilfried Bony scored both goals for Swans, 2-0, who cruised to the win against the suddenly-struggling Foxes.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Will the Sounders handle the Galaxy and expectations to clinch home-field throughout the playoffs?
Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
“Maybe they [Stoke] created two possibilities, not chances and that’s a great team effort,” Koeman said of his Saints.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Despite going behind earlier, Real came roaring back to win the first El Clasico of 2014-15.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Watch and enjoy, then follow the second half live on NBC and online via Live Extra.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Neymar and Ronaldo stealing the show so far, as four on yellows for Barca. Live updates, here:
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 1
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3