Apr 5, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
Man of the Match: FC Dallas center back Ugo Ihemelu surely felt like he’s been there before. Early in the 2010 season, the FC Dallas center back scored on a header, off a free kick and near the end as FC Dallas won for the first time in Houston. Thursday, after a night of steady defending, where goalkeeper Kevin Hartman never really needed to stretch himself, Ihemelu came through once again, on a header off a free kick near the end. He got behind his marker, Shalrie Joseph, to drop in the game-winner deep into stoppage time.
Packaged for take-away:
- With both sides missing fullbacks who can add speed or something else to the attack (Kevin Alston for New England and Jair Benitez for Dallas), and without their creators (Benny Feilhaber for New England and David Ferreira for Dallas) a creative spark was noticeably absent from this one.
- Thursday’s match was a bad one for Alston to miss; he would have helped the Revs with Fabian Castillo’s speed, which was crushing the visitor’s back line early.
- Revs manager Jay Heaps made a slight tactical adjustment, asking central midfielders Clyde Simms and Shalrie Joseph to adjust their positioning, getting closer to the passing lanes faster along Castillo’s side, and things looked more under control from there.
- Castillo has as much speed with the ball as anyone this side of Dominic Oduro. But like Oduro, he sometimes hopes to do too much. If Castillo ever learns a better deployment of all that speed, he’ll really be a handful.
- An FC Dallas without Daniel Hernandez to pass through the midfield, without Ferreira to operate the attack and without Benitez to work the left flank … that’s an FC Dallas team that can only hope for a goal and then lean on a dependable defense. As it is, Blas Perez is the closest thing Dallas has to a “playmaker.”
- New England’s outside midfielders, Kelyn Rowe and Lee Nguyen, never got anything close to the room they had Saturday against Los Angeles.
- New England goalkeeper Matt Reis had a Man of the Match-kind of evening, too. Revolution center backs A.J. Soares and Stephen McCarthy had good nights, although Dallas’ Perez did win a bunch of balls in the air. In the end, a couple of big saves by Reis – one in the first half on a low shot by Brek Shea, and another big effort late in the second half on a deflected ball that seemed to be twisting into the upper corner – was nearly enough to help New England close out what was nearly a highly successful five-days on the road.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
Business up front. Defense in the rear.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
L.A. Galaxy Insider report also speculates that Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez could take a Designated Player spot in Major League Soccer if he leaves Old Trafford.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
“It’s obviously a shame he’s not here, but Liverpool is a club that’s bigger as any individual,” Rodgers said from Fenway Park.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Inter Milan and Queens Park Rangers have swooped in for two of the Bluebirds’ best players, and Vincent Tan probably isn’t too happy.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Shaw speaks to PST: “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I didn’t think twice when they wanted to sign me.”
Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
When a guy many consider a footballing genius gives the United States coach praise, that’s a pretty cool feather in Klinsmann’s cap.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Premier Leaguers in the U.S. on Tuesday = A day of open training sessions, autographs, football helmets and golf clubs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is a promising prospect, but is dealing with negative headlines after being subject to abuse on Tuesday in Croatia.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Fraser Forster will be sticking at Celtic, for now, after Southampton reportedly lowballed the Scottish powers.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hand on shoulder, hair-coiffed, warm smile… next! Becks makes the rounds on the United’s U.S. tour.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
There have been reports of where the 32-year-old American left sider will not be going, but little as to where he will.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
For every “stars… they’re just like us” moment a player gives you, there are moments like this, which will not happen to 99.9999% of us at work in our lives
Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Xavi set to remain at Barcelona until January, at least.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Yeah. This is actually happened… as Stoke pull off a major coup.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Guardiola: “He trains well, he’s a good guy and my first idea is that he’s going to stay for the rest of the season.”
Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Will Lovren become the third Saints player to join Liverpool this summer? If the price is right, it sure looks that way.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Where will Rodriguez line up next season for Real? Here’s an in-depth look at the options.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 1
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 0
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 2
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3