Apr 5, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
Man of the Match: FC Dallas center back Ugo Ihemelu surely felt like he’s been there before. Early in the 2010 season, the FC Dallas center back scored on a header, off a free kick and near the end as FC Dallas won for the first time in Houston. Thursday, after a night of steady defending, where goalkeeper Kevin Hartman never really needed to stretch himself, Ihemelu came through once again, on a header off a free kick near the end. He got behind his marker, Shalrie Joseph, to drop in the game-winner deep into stoppage time.
Packaged for take-away:
- With both sides missing fullbacks who can add speed or something else to the attack (Kevin Alston for New England and Jair Benitez for Dallas), and without their creators (Benny Feilhaber for New England and David Ferreira for Dallas) a creative spark was noticeably absent from this one.
- Thursday’s match was a bad one for Alston to miss; he would have helped the Revs with Fabian Castillo’s speed, which was crushing the visitor’s back line early.
- Revs manager Jay Heaps made a slight tactical adjustment, asking central midfielders Clyde Simms and Shalrie Joseph to adjust their positioning, getting closer to the passing lanes faster along Castillo’s side, and things looked more under control from there.
- Castillo has as much speed with the ball as anyone this side of Dominic Oduro. But like Oduro, he sometimes hopes to do too much. If Castillo ever learns a better deployment of all that speed, he’ll really be a handful.
- An FC Dallas without Daniel Hernandez to pass through the midfield, without Ferreira to operate the attack and without Benitez to work the left flank … that’s an FC Dallas team that can only hope for a goal and then lean on a dependable defense. As it is, Blas Perez is the closest thing Dallas has to a “playmaker.”
- New England’s outside midfielders, Kelyn Rowe and Lee Nguyen, never got anything close to the room they had Saturday against Los Angeles.
- New England goalkeeper Matt Reis had a Man of the Match-kind of evening, too. Revolution center backs A.J. Soares and Stephen McCarthy had good nights, although Dallas’ Perez did win a bunch of balls in the air. In the end, a couple of big saves by Reis – one in the first half on a low shot by Brek Shea, and another big effort late in the second half on a deflected ball that seemed to be twisting into the upper corner – was nearly enough to help New England close out what was nearly a highly successful five-days on the road.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
He’s in Barcelona. She’s from Colombia. Their kid is named Milan.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was a small sample size for the Premier League, but that didn’t stop some stars from shining in Round 29.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Levante already trailing Real Madrid 2-0, David Navarro took a red card for a harsh foul on the international star.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Aside from the Gunners, there shouldn’t be too many hurt feelings amongst the other giants of Europe.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
The Old Lady beats Fiorentina to extend lead atop Serie A, dismiss opponents’ threat to third.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Knee ailment sees Dutch midfielder out of match after 12 minutes.
Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action
Mar 9, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
The Blues are seven points clear, Fulham moves clear to the second tier, and Manchester United illuminate the depths of West Brom.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
It was Valladolid’s first win over Barcelona since October 2012, and “boosted” their record in the rivalry to 4W-5D-23L.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
That’s a photo from an actual Serie A match between Lazio and Atalanta. Wow.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Wilmer Cabrera gets a win in his debut as boss of Chivas USA.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
This Johannsson kid is easily the best Icelandic-Alabaman we’ve seen in a long time.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Meyler capped off a long run with a left-footed finish to score the second of Hull’s three goals in a shutout win over Sunderland on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s a horrifying story, and one that is sure to have severe repercussions throughout Ghana’s soccer structure.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
With Pique picking up his fourth yellow against Real Valladolid, he could sit next league match to ensure his availability against Real Madrid.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
At least one of Wigan, Hull City or Sheffield United will make the FA Cup final as the quarterfinals are complete and the semifinal draw is out.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
In the midst of a 4-match winless skid in the Bundesliga – 5 if you include the Champions League drubbing by PSG – Bayer Leverkusen now lose a key midfield component.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
An offshore Swiss bank account has betrayed the 62-year-old as he faces 10 years in prison.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Jozy Altidore was left out of the Sunderland squad today thanks to a knock he picked up in training, but this season as a whole has been a train wreck.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
According to the player’s agent and brother, an English club – and possibly multiple – made a large offer for the defender, but he is happy at Real Madrid.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
Because there’s still hope for humanity, a player convinces the referee he wasn’t taken down in the box and that a penalty shouldn’t be awarded
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear