Apr 5, 2012, 12:28 PM EDT
Anybody with half a brain about football could see that he was going to be a good player. The doubts were, being from MLS at the time, jumping straight into the Premier League was a big jump. But it took him maybe half a season, maybe a season, but after that the rest is history.”
Those are the words of Chris Coleman, who recently took the managerial reigns at Wales following Gary Speed’s untimely passing. Coleman was speaking of U.S. international Clint Dempsey.
Coleman knows Dempsey well, having brought the Texan to Craven Cottage back in 2007. The $4 million transfer looks like a grand bargain now, considering everything Dempsey has accomplished, not to mention whatever profit the Cottagers will reap should Dempsey leave this summer.
So what does Coleman think about Dempsey in this anxious year of “should he, or shouldn’t he?” around Craven Cottage.
See for yourself in this interview with Kick’s Jimmy Conrad.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 5
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 15
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional