Apr 5, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Birthdays of note: Colorado goalkeeper Matt Pickens turns 30 today.
Big Important Story of the Day: Herculez Gomez scored. Again. Stop us if you’ve heard this before. There’s about six weeks before Jurgen Klinsmann announces his 23-man U.S. roster for matches in May and June; expect to read a lot about the guy between then and now.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Steven Beitashour
Twitter dap: #USWNT’s Heather O’Reilly (@HeatherOReilly) , upon the team’s return from two matches in Japan: “Japan was sick but happy to be home! Quick stop in LA with @teamjacq and @adidasUS for photo shoot #teamadidas”
Ahead on the blog today*: A look at the U.S. striker depth chart and a check on the U.S. women’s team after a win and a draw at the Kirin Challenge Cup, some U.S. player news out of England and links to a good interview on Herculez Gomez.
PST background noise while blogging today: Tunes supplied from KXT (“Music to the core”)
We’ll leave you with this: “When he gets a bee in his bonnet, he just won’t stop. That’s what makes him a good plumber.” No deep meanings here. I think. Just something funny I heard over dinner last night.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final