Apr 5, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
U.S. Soccer announced Thursday that Canada will be the U.S. women’s national team’s opponent in June 30th’s pre-Olympics send-off match.
The game will be held at Rio Tinto Stadium (home of Real Salt Lake), kick off at 2:00 p.m. ET, and air live on NBC (note: that’s main network, not NBCSN).
The last time the ladies were in Utah was March 2010, where the USWNT got a 1-0 win over Mexico on snow smothered field. Memorably, the team broke into snow angles after Abby Wambach’s game-winner.
While Canada seems like a natural pick for a send-off match (a neighbor who should draw a decent crowd), there are some dangers. The matches between the U.S. and Canada can get a little testy, and after the rout they suffered in the final of CONCACAF Olympic qualifying, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Canada carry a bit of pride into their last pre-Olympics tune-up. It’s not like John Herman to start a team that won’t give 100 percent, and after losing the Cyprus Cup to France, Canada may need another litmus test against a favorite to gauge where they stand ahead of London.
In short: This may not be the smooth 90 a team needs heading into a big tournament.
Check out U.S. Soccer for more info, but send-off game or not, U.S. women versus Canada’s always worth a couple of hours of your time.
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''