Apr 5, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
U.S. Soccer announced Thursday that Canada will be the U.S. women’s national team’s opponent in June 30th’s pre-Olympics send-off match.
The game will be held at Rio Tinto Stadium (home of Real Salt Lake), kick off at 2:00 p.m. ET, and air live on NBC (note: that’s main network, not NBCSN).
The last time the ladies were in Utah was March 2010, where the USWNT got a 1-0 win over Mexico on snow smothered field. Memorably, the team broke into snow angles after Abby Wambach’s game-winner.
While Canada seems like a natural pick for a send-off match (a neighbor who should draw a decent crowd), there are some dangers. The matches between the U.S. and Canada can get a little testy, and after the rout they suffered in the final of CONCACAF Olympic qualifying, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Canada carry a bit of pride into their last pre-Olympics tune-up. It’s not like John Herman to start a team that won’t give 100 percent, and after losing the Cyprus Cup to France, Canada may need another litmus test against a favorite to gauge where they stand ahead of London.
In short: This may not be the smooth 90 a team needs heading into a big tournament.
Check out U.S. Soccer for more info, but send-off game or not, U.S. women versus Canada’s always worth a couple of hours of your time.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public