Apr 6, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
Before we fly our virtual whirlybird out of L.A. Galaxy airspace, let’s take one more quick look at the defensive issues on Bruce Arena’s club:
This time the assist comes from Brian Straus at the Sporting News. He points out how Bruce Arena keeps underselling Omar Gonzalez’s absence.
It’s not hard to understand why Arena keeps doing this. He’s the manager, and part of his job is to protect his players’ belief in themselves. Specifically, he needs under-fire center back A.J. DeLaGarza to rise to this moment. He needs right back Sean Franklin to have the confidence, while defending one-on-one in the corners, that his center backs can deal with any crosses he concedes.
So Arena is spinning, doing his best to arrest any signs of sagging confidence. It won’t help matters if the wise, highly respected manager is boohooing about injuries and absences no longer in his control, since that horse is way out of the barn.
Still, his words cannot alter the reality that this team sorely misses MLS 2011 Defender of the Year Omar Gonzalez. Let NBC’s Kyle Martino say what Arena can’t (from Straus’ piece in the Sporting News.)
The reality is that a lot of people underestimated Omar Gonzalez,” former L.A. and U.S. national team midfielder Kyle Martino, NBC’s new soccer analyst, told Sporting News. “We were talking to Landon (Donovan) last week, and he said, ‘Not only was Omar the defender of the year, but for me, he was the (league) MVP. He bailed us out so many times because of his size, his athleticism and because of the way he reads the game.’”
Here’s the raw data on it all. Remember, this is a Galaxy team that had such a fantastic back like a year ago, backstopping a side of experts when it came to managing matches. Only seven times in the entire 2011 season did the Galaxy allow more than one goal in a game. That’s seven times out of 34. Compare that to what has happened already this year, in five matches over two competitions.
- 2-2 draw at Toronto
- 3-1 loss at home to Real Salt Lake
- 2-1 loss at home to Toronto
- 3-1 win at home over D.C. United
- 3-1 loss at home to New England
Conceding more than a goal was a statistical rarity last year (just 20.6 percent of the time.) This year it’s the complete opposite so far. More than one goal has dropped into Galaxy goal in 80 percent of the games, an admittedly small sample, but an alarming percentage just the same.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park