Apr 6, 2012, 6:30 AM EST
Birthdays of note: Did you really think we would get far into this day without mentioning the man of the moment? Santos Laguna striker Herculez Gomez turns the big 3-0 on Friday. Get out to Twitter, hit up @herculezg, and tell him no hard feelings over knocking another Major League Soccer team out of CONCACAF Champions League. Maybe that “Former” will get out of his Twitter bio in a few months.
Big Important Story of the Day: On Friday, we always talk about Saturday, but this week keep an eye on the build up to a couple of rivalries rekindled on Saturday. The day’s going to start with the first Montreal-Toronto meeting in MLS. At the end of the day, Real Salt Lake hosts Colorado. Let’s see if anybody lights any fires.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mauricio Cienfuegos. Has any MLS name been cooler to say than “Mauricio Cienfuegos”? One day, Hunter Jumper might have something to say about that, but as for Cienfuegos … he sounds like an assassin from a telenovela. Or one of Dr. Evil’s henchmen.
Twitter dap: #USWNT’s Megan Rapinoe (@Pinoe): “Note to people near me when I, or anyone scores:Prepare yourself, because I’m coming for you!!!!!!! [link.]” What’s the link, you ask? Well, I’m glad you did …
Megan, stop showing off. It’s Herculez’ birthday.
Ahead on the blog today*: An obvious obsession with what’s happening this weekend, and PST becomes the last blog in the world to weigh in on Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool.
PST background noise while blogging today: HBO’s Game Change, during which it occurs to me … Tina Fey, Julianne Moore … it’s seems all too easy to make somebody look like Sarah Palin.
We’ll leave you with this: Nat Borchers or Chris Schuler? Yeah, I can’t decide, either.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0