Apr 7, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Both Impact center backs had good matches, but Matteo Ferrari offered more Saturday in the way of leadership and composure in dealing with Danny Koevermans and the TFC attack.
Packaged for take-away:
- Impact manager Jesse Marsch changed out half his starting lineup for this one following his team’s mid-week loss to Real Salt Lake. On the outs: defender Josh Gardner, midfielders Davy Arnaud, Jeb Brovsky and Justin Mapp and forward Justin Braun. Arnaud, by the way, is the team captain.
- It was a good-sized gamble from Marsch, considering the experience that guys like Arnaud and Mapp bring. But both teams had reason to be tired. The extra midfield pep provided by fresher legs helped the Impact control possession through most of the match, a spell here or there in the second half notwithstanding.
- Arnaud and Mapp did come on late to help nurse home the result. In fact, Matt’s ball out of the back, wise, precise and early, spring Andrew Wenger for the game-winner.
- Lots of firsts for Montreal on Saturday. Let’s see: first win, first goal for No. 1 MLS draft pick Wenger, first career win as a head coach for Marsch. That about covers the most important ones.
- It was very nearly the first shutout for l’Impact de Montreal but for Koevermans’ clinical finish two minutes from the end.
- Koevermans can clearly score, but getting the ball to him in good spots near goal is a real chore right now for TFC. The side’s shape and passing through the midfield is a mess. But we’ve said that before.
- Montreal right back Zarek Valentin inserts himself into good spots in the attack, but his crossing really isn’t passing muster. Put a big check mark next to “lots of room for improvement.”
- On Logan Emory’s 66th minute red card, which left the visitors to playing 10 on 11: Referee Hilario Grajeda got most it right. The foul on Sanna Nyassi was just outside the penalty area, and Emory definitely had “stop at all cost” in his mind as Nyassi sped toward goal. You do wonder if a yellow card might be sufficed here, as Grajeda could have made a case that defensive cover was close enough (i.e., that Emory wasn’t clearly the last defender involved in the sequence).
- Toronto attacker Ryan Johnson always looks like a winger trying to play the midfield when Aron Winter uses him on the inside. He was behind the striker in the side’s 4-2-3-1 Saturday.
- For all the trouble with TFC’s attack right now, the sides biggest problem continues to be lack of quality center backs. Emory got himself thrown out and Ty Harden simply must be better in critical moments. He didn’t deal well at all with the situation that turned into Wenger’s game-winner.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT
That’s 7 losses in 8 games for the Sounders. Meanwhile, the ‘Caps go top of the West.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Another Royal Rumble between old rivals. While the rest of MLS went goal-crazy, these two did what they always do.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
The goals floweth over in MLS tonight. Cyle Larin scored his second straight brace for Orlando City.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
D.C. United and RSL combined for 10 goals at RFK Stadium Saturday night. Let the video do the talking.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
The Premier League season is here…almost. The final week of preseason has begun.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
The new seasons in Germany and France are underway following an afternoon full of Super Cup action.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
It’s not been the greatest week of Miguel Herrera’s life. He’s in legal trouble yet again.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Another wild afternoon at Yankee Stadium ends in defeat for NYCFC. Pirlo made his first MLS start and Lampard made his MLS debut.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Can Spurs crack the top four? Or will it be another season on the outside looking in at White Hart Lane?
Aug 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Wenger has never beaten Mourinho before, but he’ll have a chance to do so tomorrow in the Community Shield.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
Rodgers better hope his “bargain” buy scores a lot of goals for Liverpool this season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Coming off of their best-ever Premier League finish, Garry Monk has the Swans thinking about bringing European football to Wales.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
He still played in Shakhtar’s Champions League match this week, which could cause his club some troubles.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT
Is Dimitar Berbatov on his way back to the Premier League? All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
In both of Watford’s two seasons in the Premier League, the club finished in last place. Can the newly promoted Hornets avoid relegation the third time around?
Aug 1, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
A big blow for the Hammers as the Premier League kicks off a week from today.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
The leaked images of United’s kit were the real McCoy, and the Red Devils white-cuffed kits are pretty sharp.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
What’s 5,000 or so miles amongst fans?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Guardiola can erase a minor Bayern demon with his first Super Cup win on Saturday versus Wolfsburg.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
In the PDL, Seattle Sounders U-23, New York Red Bulls U-23, K-W United and Ocala Stampede are left, while the NPSL has New York Cosmos B, Chattanooga FC, Indiana Fire and CD Aguiluchos USA remaining.
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Man City lose in Germany, Liverpool win in Finland 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1