Apr 7, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Both Impact center backs had good matches, but Matteo Ferrari offered more Saturday in the way of leadership and composure in dealing with Danny Koevermans and the TFC attack.
Packaged for take-away:
- Impact manager Jesse Marsch changed out half his starting lineup for this one following his team’s mid-week loss to Real Salt Lake. On the outs: defender Josh Gardner, midfielders Davy Arnaud, Jeb Brovsky and Justin Mapp and forward Justin Braun. Arnaud, by the way, is the team captain.
- It was a good-sized gamble from Marsch, considering the experience that guys like Arnaud and Mapp bring. But both teams had reason to be tired. The extra midfield pep provided by fresher legs helped the Impact control possession through most of the match, a spell here or there in the second half notwithstanding.
- Arnaud and Mapp did come on late to help nurse home the result. In fact, Matt’s ball out of the back, wise, precise and early, spring Andrew Wenger for the game-winner.
- Lots of firsts for Montreal on Saturday. Let’s see: first win, first goal for No. 1 MLS draft pick Wenger, first career win as a head coach for Marsch. That about covers the most important ones.
- It was very nearly the first shutout for l’Impact de Montreal but for Koevermans’ clinical finish two minutes from the end.
- Koevermans can clearly score, but getting the ball to him in good spots near goal is a real chore right now for TFC. The side’s shape and passing through the midfield is a mess. But we’ve said that before.
- Montreal right back Zarek Valentin inserts himself into good spots in the attack, but his crossing really isn’t passing muster. Put a big check mark next to “lots of room for improvement.”
- On Logan Emory’s 66th minute red card, which left the visitors to playing 10 on 11: Referee Hilario Grajeda got most it right. The foul on Sanna Nyassi was just outside the penalty area, and Emory definitely had “stop at all cost” in his mind as Nyassi sped toward goal. You do wonder if a yellow card might be sufficed here, as Grajeda could have made a case that defensive cover was close enough (i.e., that Emory wasn’t clearly the last defender involved in the sequence).
- Toronto attacker Ryan Johnson always looks like a winger trying to play the midfield when Aron Winter uses him on the inside. He was behind the striker in the side’s 4-2-3-1 Saturday.
- For all the trouble with TFC’s attack right now, the sides biggest problem continues to be lack of quality center backs. Emory got himself thrown out and Ty Harden simply must be better in critical moments. He didn’t deal well at all with the situation that turned into Wenger’s game-winner.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Garber: “MLS will not expand to Miami unless we have a downtown site for the stadium.”
Jul 29, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
Howard to call games, be studio analyst, for up to 10 PL games on NBC Sports this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
A shoving match or something more sinister in Seattle?
Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Borussia Dortmund star turns down new deal, alerts European giants.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
England youngster told he’s “not fit enough” and ordered to train on his own by van Gaal. Ouch.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
Sounders’ tendency to collapse resurfaces during the Galaxy’s biggest win of the season.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
A terrible move could get worse if Chelsea can’t move the Spanish striker.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Belgian international intends to stay at White Hart Lane, with a new, five-year deal on the table.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Napoli, Borussia Dortmund linked to the potential United castoffs.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
Colombian international expected to play Saturday against Valencia.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Time in the NASL will give the 24-year-old needed minutes.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Brazilian’s injury testing United’s depth on the right side.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
U.S. international’s knee surgery will sideline him for “several weeks.”
Jul 28, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Two Saints look to follow their former manager to North London.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Timber’s game-winning goal in Montréal separated him from a tight field.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
After two on-pitch selfie’s occur with players over the weekend, security needs to be stepped up.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Could Neymar represent Brazil at the 2016 Olympics in Rio?
Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Besic, 21, has signed a five-year deal with the Toffees.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Bale smashes in an absolute beauty from distance. Check it out, here.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
After selling over $170 million of talent so far this summer, what are Saints playing at?
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 6
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 3
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 1
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 4
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0