Apr 7, 2012, 2:19 PM EST
Man of the Match: Both Impact center backs had good matches, but Matteo Ferrari offered more Saturday in the way of leadership and composure in dealing with Danny Koevermans and the TFC attack.
Packaged for take-away:
- Impact manager Jesse Marsch changed out half his starting lineup for this one following his team’s mid-week loss to Real Salt Lake. On the outs: defender Josh Gardner, midfielders Davy Arnaud, Jeb Brovsky and Justin Mapp and forward Justin Braun. Arnaud, by the way, is the team captain.
- It was a good-sized gamble from Marsch, considering the experience that guys like Arnaud and Mapp bring. But both teams had reason to be tired. The extra midfield pep provided by fresher legs helped the Impact control possession through most of the match, a spell here or there in the second half notwithstanding.
- Arnaud and Mapp did come on late to help nurse home the result. In fact, Matt’s ball out of the back, wise, precise and early, spring Andrew Wenger for the game-winner.
- Lots of firsts for Montreal on Saturday. Let’s see: first win, first goal for No. 1 MLS draft pick Wenger, first career win as a head coach for Marsch. That about covers the most important ones.
- It was very nearly the first shutout for l’Impact de Montreal but for Koevermans’ clinical finish two minutes from the end.
- Koevermans can clearly score, but getting the ball to him in good spots near goal is a real chore right now for TFC. The side’s shape and passing through the midfield is a mess. But we’ve said that before.
- Montreal right back Zarek Valentin inserts himself into good spots in the attack, but his crossing really isn’t passing muster. Put a big check mark next to “lots of room for improvement.”
- On Logan Emory’s 66th minute red card, which left the visitors to playing 10 on 11: Referee Hilario Grajeda got most it right. The foul on Sanna Nyassi was just outside the penalty area, and Emory definitely had “stop at all cost” in his mind as Nyassi sped toward goal. You do wonder if a yellow card might be sufficed here, as Grajeda could have made a case that defensive cover was close enough (i.e., that Emory wasn’t clearly the last defender involved in the sequence).
- Toronto attacker Ryan Johnson always looks like a winger trying to play the midfield when Aron Winter uses him on the inside. He was behind the striker in the side’s 4-2-3-1 Saturday.
- For all the trouble with TFC’s attack right now, the sides biggest problem continues to be lack of quality center backs. Emory got himself thrown out and Ty Harden simply must be better in critical moments. He didn’t deal well at all with the situation that turned into Wenger’s game-winner.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:26 AM EST
Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville discuss this weekend’s meeting relegation-embattled Cardiff City and Fulham.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:12 AM EST
What definitely will not happen in the upcoming Major League Soccer season.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? It’s all change in the latest PL Power Rankings, as sides shuffle with 10 games to go:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
The Supporters’ Shield winners could be without Henry, Cahill, and Olave on Saturday in Vancouver.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:39 PM EST
Atlanta will have to stumble to miss out on expansion, with Minneapolis also looking like a favorite to snare on of the league’s next franchises.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
No. 1 was easy. It’s 2 through 10 that were hard.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Nigeria will help the U.S. prepare for Brazil.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
The Black and Red give their newest star the deal Seattle couldn’t.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Can the Baggies seal an unlikely double over United? Watch live on NBCSN, Saturday, 7:45 a.m. ET:
Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
With the 2014 season just a few days away, here is the full MLS on NBC TV schedule:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Southampton’s star man shone for England once again, as many clamber for Lallana to start this summer in Brazil:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Injured and unfit to play in the Premier League, what in the world were the Cottagers thinking shelling out a club record $20 million for damaged goods during a relegation battle?
Mar 6, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Fortunately West Brom is playing United, who have proven themselves capable of dropping the ball against the most measly of opponents.
Jurgen Klinsmann says it would’ve been “half a miracle” if U.S. clicked vs. Ukraine, USMNT missed MLS contingent
Mar 6, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
Remember one thing before analyzing the USA’s defeat to Ukraine… half of the usual squad weren’t available for selection.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 AM EST
Arsenal star injured on England duty, after playing on despite suffering early injury:
Mar 6, 2014, 10:27 AM EST
Horror tackle hands Vietnam international defender Tran Dinh Dong record ban:
Mar 6, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Super Mario set to turn up at Stamford Bridge?
Mar 6, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Young child runs onto pitch, but instead of being escorted away… the Brazilian national team give him a moment to remember forever:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 AM EST
With game time dwindling with the Red Devils, Chicharito may move on:
Mar 6, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Miguel Herrera welcomed his European-based talent back into the team on Wednesday night.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season