Apr 7, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Hard to imagine that Kenny Cooper may have been fourth on the Red Bulls preseason depth chart at striker, behind Thierry Henry, Luke Rodgers and Juan Agudelo. After two early goals Saturday, Cooper is just behind Henry for MLS scoring leadership (going into Saturday night, that is.) It’s worth noting that Cooper had eight goals in 34 games last year. He has six so far in five games with the Red Bulls.
Packaged for take-away:
- The home team was never in this one. Cooper opened the scoring inside three minutes, and it was pretty much a downhill spiral from there for Robert Warzycha’s team. New York took five of the game’s first six shots, stroking the ball around confidently.
- The Crew sails caught some wind for about 10 minutes late in the first half. But Thierry Henry was left free to find the far post for New York’s third and, well, so much for the budding rally. (Columbus’ goal came way too late to matter.)
- Columbus’ defense has a lot to answer for on this one. The back line and midfield were absolutely on holiday. Cooper was given too much room on the opener, wasn’t challenged sufficiently on No. 2 and Henry looked like he was taking shooting practice on No. 3, completely unopposed as he drifted with glee into the penalty area. In between, Dane Richards, Rafa Marquez, Cooper and Henry were free to operate and serve in the final third with near-impunity. It could have been worse than 3-0 at halftime.
- Chances for the Crew before the halftime break? A couple of free kicks, maybe, and Milovan Mirosevic and Bernardo Anor whacked a couple of hopeful fliers from distance, but neither gave Red Bulls goalkeeper Ryan Meara any trouble.
- Three relatively trouble free matches have provided Meara with some breathing room as he settles into the pro game. (Not that he was poor at all in the side’s opening pair.)
- Pride presumably (hopefully) wounded, Columbus looked better in the second half. Dilly Duka’s introduction after 56 minutes pepped up the Crew attack, but a 3-0 deficit is a lot to overcome. (And in fairness, the Red Bulls had probably switched on the cruise control by then.)
- Mehdi Ballouchy replaced Joel Lindpere on the left for New York; the Estonian has struggled in 2012 to make any impact.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”
Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 0
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 1
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 11
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1