Apr 7, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
1. Will Montreal win a game?
Obviously, the expansion Impact, currently winless in five, will collect a “W” here and there this year. This looks like a great place to start. Toronto is reeling, having just been dumped like a cheating spouse in Champions League. It’s best player, Torsten Frings, remains on the injury shelf. The team traveled across North American on Thursday following Wednesday’s night beat down in Torreon, Mexico, so the physical condition of Aron Winter’s men can hardly be tip-top. This is one Montreal surely has circled, and not just because of its budding-rivalry status.
2. Will David Beckham’s absence somehow help the Galaxy shakes it funk?
Manager Bruce Arena can bang on all he wants about how Beckham’s halftime removal last week was tactical, and how he could have changed out all 11 players. But it’s difficult to conceive of how the Galaxy couldn’t have tweaked things tactically in a way that involved its captain and top player. So, clearly Arena wasn’t happy with something he saw in the first half of last week’s loss. Will Los Angeles, somehow, see improvement today against Sporting Kansas City without Beckham in the lineup?
3. Is Bobby Convey fitting at Sporting Kansas City?
Things are going so well for Peter Vermes’ side at the moment, there’s really no pressing need to ask a bunch of questions. On the other hand, every team needs to be the best it can be, so it’s fair to begin wondering if the former San Jose Earthquake can make a dent or even keep his place. While Graham Zusi keeps running the SKC attack with aplomb, Convey continues to seek his first goal or assist after four starts.
4. Will the Brandon McDonald suspension disrupt D.C. United’s momentum?
The center back’s suspension, announced in mid-week as retroactive action for a reckless tackle against FC Dallas, was a bit of a buzz kill. But will it be more? Manager Ben Olsen will probably summon Dejan Jakovic to partner with Emiliano Dudar as United hosts Seattle at RFK Stadium. Things will be going in the right direction for Olsen and Co. if they can build on last week’s big win over Dallas. On the other hand, Seattle is coming off a home loss, and Sigi Schmid’s Sounders will want to put things right without delay.
5. How many goals does Thierry Henry have in him today?
The famous Frenchman is hotter than Jose Mourinho’s head after another Barcelona beat down. Henry has five goals and two assists in his last two matches, enjoying a great relationship with Kenny Cooper, who has four goals of his own this year. The pair’s next chance to impress happens in Ohio, site of today’s contest against the quietly effective 2-1-0 Crew. While the absence of steady holding midfielder Teemu Tainio and center back Wilman Conde could dent the defensive side, New York’s attack should be none the worse for it.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:25 AM EDT
MLS’s best forward had a very non-best night on Saturday, with his inability to convert a late penalty kick costing his team in Carson.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:02 AM EDT
The former Canadian international drew a late penalty in the Galaxy’s loss to RSL.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:18 AM EDT
Holding serve was enough in game one under their new coach, with Dallas’s big three threat delivering against the Impact.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
They finished last year at opposite ends of the East. On Saturday, D.C. and New York both stumbled in their 2014 openers.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
After a downturn in 2013, Houston’s main attacking threat has already bagged two.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The 35-year-old, four-time Best XI midfielder is left looking for his fourth team in three seasons.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
CONCACAF Champions League mattered, Seattle will need more time, and Sporting plays to type in MLS opener.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
On his fifth team in five years, Barrett delivered Saturday for Seattle.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Late match chaos produced 2014′s first point of drama, with the veteran journeyman giving Seattle a perfect start.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Bayern dominated once again, scoring six against Wolfsburg, while Schalke proved they’re still able to dominate matches by scoring four.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Four decades of soccer in the Pacific Northwest were celebrated at CenturyLink Field.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
The Rapids finally confirm the man who guided them through the preseason would replace Óscar Pareja.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Big wins for Man United, Chelsea and Cardiff on a stellar Saturday of PL action:
Mar 8, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Sporting’s title defense begins at CenturyLink Field, with MLS’s first game of the 2014 season available on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Goals from Eto’o, Hazard and Ba with two hands Chelsea crucial win, as title race intensifies:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Barca could find themselves in third place by the end of the weekend, after losing 1-0 to Valladolid.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
American forward Johannsson does it again, scores beauty to put AZ ahead:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
The Fulham manager is convinced that his side can avoid the drop. But is that sort of optimism misplaced?
Mar 8, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Other sides fighting the drop will be thrilled that Stoke and Norwich split the points available at Carrow Road.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Massive London derby at the Bridge, can Chelsea extend their lead at the top? Watch live, here:
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes