Apr 7, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
1. Will Montreal win a game?
Obviously, the expansion Impact, currently winless in five, will collect a “W” here and there this year. This looks like a great place to start. Toronto is reeling, having just been dumped like a cheating spouse in Champions League. It’s best player, Torsten Frings, remains on the injury shelf. The team traveled across North American on Thursday following Wednesday’s night beat down in Torreon, Mexico, so the physical condition of Aron Winter’s men can hardly be tip-top. This is one Montreal surely has circled, and not just because of its budding-rivalry status.
2. Will David Beckham’s absence somehow help the Galaxy shakes it funk?
Manager Bruce Arena can bang on all he wants about how Beckham’s halftime removal last week was tactical, and how he could have changed out all 11 players. But it’s difficult to conceive of how the Galaxy couldn’t have tweaked things tactically in a way that involved its captain and top player. So, clearly Arena wasn’t happy with something he saw in the first half of last week’s loss. Will Los Angeles, somehow, see improvement today against Sporting Kansas City without Beckham in the lineup?
3. Is Bobby Convey fitting at Sporting Kansas City?
Things are going so well for Peter Vermes’ side at the moment, there’s really no pressing need to ask a bunch of questions. On the other hand, every team needs to be the best it can be, so it’s fair to begin wondering if the former San Jose Earthquake can make a dent or even keep his place. While Graham Zusi keeps running the SKC attack with aplomb, Convey continues to seek his first goal or assist after four starts.
4. Will the Brandon McDonald suspension disrupt D.C. United’s momentum?
The center back’s suspension, announced in mid-week as retroactive action for a reckless tackle against FC Dallas, was a bit of a buzz kill. But will it be more? Manager Ben Olsen will probably summon Dejan Jakovic to partner with Emiliano Dudar as United hosts Seattle at RFK Stadium. Things will be going in the right direction for Olsen and Co. if they can build on last week’s big win over Dallas. On the other hand, Seattle is coming off a home loss, and Sigi Schmid’s Sounders will want to put things right without delay.
5. How many goals does Thierry Henry have in him today?
The famous Frenchman is hotter than Jose Mourinho’s head after another Barcelona beat down. Henry has five goals and two assists in his last two matches, enjoying a great relationship with Kenny Cooper, who has four goals of his own this year. The pair’s next chance to impress happens in Ohio, site of today’s contest against the quietly effective 2-1-0 Crew. While the absence of steady holding midfielder Teemu Tainio and center back Wilman Conde could dent the defensive side, New York’s attack should be none the worse for it.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Can Arsenal break through City’s splendid home form?
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park