Apr 7, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
1. Will Montreal win a game?
Obviously, the expansion Impact, currently winless in five, will collect a “W” here and there this year. This looks like a great place to start. Toronto is reeling, having just been dumped like a cheating spouse in Champions League. It’s best player, Torsten Frings, remains on the injury shelf. The team traveled across North American on Thursday following Wednesday’s night beat down in Torreon, Mexico, so the physical condition of Aron Winter’s men can hardly be tip-top. This is one Montreal surely has circled, and not just because of its budding-rivalry status.
2. Will David Beckham’s absence somehow help the Galaxy shakes it funk?
Manager Bruce Arena can bang on all he wants about how Beckham’s halftime removal last week was tactical, and how he could have changed out all 11 players. But it’s difficult to conceive of how the Galaxy couldn’t have tweaked things tactically in a way that involved its captain and top player. So, clearly Arena wasn’t happy with something he saw in the first half of last week’s loss. Will Los Angeles, somehow, see improvement today against Sporting Kansas City without Beckham in the lineup?
3. Is Bobby Convey fitting at Sporting Kansas City?
Things are going so well for Peter Vermes’ side at the moment, there’s really no pressing need to ask a bunch of questions. On the other hand, every team needs to be the best it can be, so it’s fair to begin wondering if the former San Jose Earthquake can make a dent or even keep his place. While Graham Zusi keeps running the SKC attack with aplomb, Convey continues to seek his first goal or assist after four starts.
4. Will the Brandon McDonald suspension disrupt D.C. United’s momentum?
The center back’s suspension, announced in mid-week as retroactive action for a reckless tackle against FC Dallas, was a bit of a buzz kill. But will it be more? Manager Ben Olsen will probably summon Dejan Jakovic to partner with Emiliano Dudar as United hosts Seattle at RFK Stadium. Things will be going in the right direction for Olsen and Co. if they can build on last week’s big win over Dallas. On the other hand, Seattle is coming off a home loss, and Sigi Schmid’s Sounders will want to put things right without delay.
5. How many goals does Thierry Henry have in him today?
The famous Frenchman is hotter than Jose Mourinho’s head after another Barcelona beat down. Henry has five goals and two assists in his last two matches, enjoying a great relationship with Kenny Cooper, who has four goals of his own this year. The pair’s next chance to impress happens in Ohio, site of today’s contest against the quietly effective 2-1-0 Crew. While the absence of steady holding midfielder Teemu Tainio and center back Wilman Conde could dent the defensive side, New York’s attack should be none the worse for it.
May 24, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Internazionale officially announced they have sacked Andrea Stramaccioni and hired the former Napoli boss.
May 24, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
No question that two of the league’s most interesting teams will be at Stade Saputo on Saturday:
May 24, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
Tony Fernandes has finally taken some blame for the relegation of QPR instead of shedding it left and right.
May 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed Chelsea interm manager Rafa Benitez is set to move to Serie A on a 2-year deal with Napoli.
May 24, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Boyd left Dortmund last season, so is a USMNT player destined to never play in a Champions League final?
May 24, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Who knew that Jimmy Nielsen’s burst of white hair wasn’t the craziest thing about Sporting Kansas City’s talented goalkeeper?
May 24, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
A blog post in the New Yorker looks at another side to this week’s huge expansion news:
May 24, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
Does Hughes deserve another shot at managing an EPL club after past failures?
May 24, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Both teams are on streaks of success – even if “success” look so radically different in the two camps:
May 24, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
See the sights around London, as Wembley Stadium welcomes German fans in abundance.
May 24, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
When Bayern Munich face Borussia Dortmund tomorrow at 2:45 ET at Wembley, they won’t be playing for the right to be recognized as permanent contenders. They’ve already that.
May 24, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Monaco’s Russian oligarch owner is splashing the cash to bring Champions League success, can they do it?
May 24, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
We have five suggestions as MLS pivots its enhancement efforts away from expansion:
May 24, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Looking behind the incredible story of the tiny rock in the Mediterranean, that can now take on the giants of European soccer
May 24, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Which individual battles will determine which side lifts the UEFA Champions League trophy at Wembley on Saturday?
May 24, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
We take a look at which US cities deserve an MLS expansion franchise and how close they are to getting it. Thoughts?
May 24, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Would Cole be a good pickup for Major League Soccer sides looking to cement their playoff aspirations?
May 24, 2013, 8:31 AM EDT
The first-ever all-German UEFA Champions League final is one day away, take a look at our infographic to see which side has the edge.
May 24, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
Christie Rampone and Sky Blue FC try to stay atop the NWSL Saturday in Overland Park.
May 23, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Manchester City overcame a 3-goal deficit at Busch Stadium in St. Louis as Edin Dzeko bagged a brace to beat Chelsea 4-3.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 6
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 18
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights