Apr 8, 2012, 10:09 AM EST
If there were any lingering doubts that well-heeled pursuers will wave stacks of cash at Fulham for American striker Clint Dempsey during the summer transfer period, Saturday’s latest display surely put them to rest.
Two more goals against Bolton (in Saturday’s 3-0 win) gives Dempsey 21 for the year, as he keeps ticking off the the accomplishments:
- Saturday’s pair gives Dempsey 15 in Premiership play this year, a new club record. His total betters Louis Saha’s 13, set eight years ago at Craven Cottage.
- He has 12 goals for Fulham since New Year’s. Plus, Dempsey threw in a game-winner in the U.S. national team’s 1-0 February win over Italy.
- A week ago, Dempsey’s 13th strike in English Premier League action broke his own record for EPL goals by an American, 12, set in the 2010-11 campaign.
Dempsey has 16 months left on his Fulham contract. So this summer is the time for the little club in West London to capitalize. Who will come calling?
It may not be Manchester United or Chelsea, although the biggest of the Premiership biggies cannot be ruled out.
Dempsey could end up traveling East, into the continent. Would a German club, for instance, a near-the-top side such as Schalke 04, see Dempsey as a way to make hay in next year’s Champions League?
Dempsey might not see much point in a joining a club in the “good but not great” universe, a side like Stuttgart or Bayer Leverkusen. They might get into Europa League play next year, but Dempsey’s checked the box on that one.
Back in England, clubs like Liverpool and Newcastle fall in the same category. Playing in Champions League seems to be Dempsey’s primary motivation for wanting to graduate out of Craven Cottage, a place dear to the man’s heart, but one he has outgrown.
What says “outgrown,” by the way, like setting records around the ground?
Dempsey’s goals, the breakdown:
League matches: 15 goals, 33 appearances
UEFA: 3 goals, 7 appearances
FA Cup: 3 goals, 2 appearances
Total: 21 goals, 42 appearances
Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Find out who went where in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
As we head into the busy festive season, here’s how the rankings of power look before Week 17.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
Winger set to return to full training, may return to action this Sunday at Anfield.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalty kicks… really?
Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
USMNT attacker heading back to MLS.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need know is an MLS expansion franchise.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EST
Reus has been speeding around in his Aston Martin without a license. Gets biggest motoring fine in German history.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:54 AM EST
Dig into all the latest gossip, right here.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 PM EST
Could Cole be returning to the Premier League?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Bad jokes make Christmas.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
Real Madrid cruised past Azul 4-0 and will be the heavy favorites come Saturday.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Huge coup for the Dynamo, if they can pull it off.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Quick healer, Mr. Aguero.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
China making a big, big play into soccer.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
Three Premier League sides make the semi-final along with League One’s Sheffield United.
- Marvell Wynne, Bakary Soumare headline Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft results 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 0
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 3
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 1
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1