Apr 8, 2012, 7:18 PM EST
Man of the match: Vincente Guaita’s save on Cristiano Ronaldo was his match’s standout moment, the Valencia `keeper getting a left palm to a shot headed for his lower-left hand corner. Two other great second half saves (both on Karim Benzema) along with dominance of his six-yard box in the match’s final moments helped Guaita complete the first shutout of Real at the Bernabeu since Victor Valdes kept a clean sheet on Apr.27, 2011.
Packaged for takeaway:
- This wasn’t a matter of a team coming to the Bernabeu and holding on for dear life. While Valencia let Real Madrid dictate play, they had a clear plan. Higher up the pitch, Los Che were going to run until they dropped (with Pablo Hernández and Jeremy Mathieu providing seemingly scripted reinforcements for Pablo Piatti and Sofiane Feghouli near the hour mark). At the back, they were going to stay compact and force Real Madrid to beat them from distance or by cross (in an approach not dissimilar to what Carlo Ancelotti did to Marseille).
- Even though Real Madrid had plenty of chances to win, Valencia’s plan worked. Los Blancos certainly had fewer clear chances than they’re used to generating, with the virtues of Valencia’s approach most evident in the 76th minute. Then, Ángel Di Maria was unable to blast a 22-yard shot through a crowded area, the block coming out to Marcelo roughly 34 yards from goal. It was a play we’ve seen so many times before – the ball sent right back in over a defense caught pushing up – but Real didn’t have the kind of penalty area presence to take advantage of it. While Marcelo’s cross for the back post was poor, Karim Benzema was seen cutting off his run, fading the right of the area.
- And Benzema should have won this match in the 78th minute. Cristiano Ronaldo fed him a perfect ball near the spot, and while Guaita came quickly, most of the goal was there for the taking. Instead, Benzema’s attempted chip went straight to the Guaita, keeping it scoreless.
- By the end of the match, Valencia was creating the better chances. Jeremy Mathieu had an open shot from 18 yards out in the 72nd minute. Aritz Aduriz had another chance minutes later with a header, and in the 85th minute, Iker Casillas had to come off his line to save Real’s point when Jordi Alba was put in behind Alvaro Arbeloa and Pepe. With Roberto Soldado brought on for the last 15 minutes, Valencia had the pieces to craft the upset.
- Whereas Unai Emery looked like he had a precise plan for the match, José Mourinho seemed to be tinkering. He started both Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain together – a rarity. By the end of the match, he had all of Benzema, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Kaká, and Jose Callejon on (along with Xabi Alonso and Marcelo). That kind of kitchen sink approach has worked before, but tonight it contributed to the feeling Real Madrid was as likely to lose as win.
- The draw leaves Real Madrid up four in La Liga, Barcelona sitting second with 75 points. Valencia point leaves them one up on Levante in third, but with first-place Malaga hosting Racing Santander in Monday, Los Che would find themselves in fourth by the time Rayo Vallecano visiting on Wednesday.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"