Apr 8, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
Man of the match: Vincente Guaita’s save on Cristiano Ronaldo was his match’s standout moment, the Valencia `keeper getting a left palm to a shot headed for his lower-left hand corner. Two other great second half saves (both on Karim Benzema) along with dominance of his six-yard box in the match’s final moments helped Guaita complete the first shutout of Real at the Bernabeu since Victor Valdes kept a clean sheet on Apr.27, 2011.
Packaged for takeaway:
- This wasn’t a matter of a team coming to the Bernabeu and holding on for dear life. While Valencia let Real Madrid dictate play, they had a clear plan. Higher up the pitch, Los Che were going to run until they dropped (with Pablo Hernández and Jeremy Mathieu providing seemingly scripted reinforcements for Pablo Piatti and Sofiane Feghouli near the hour mark). At the back, they were going to stay compact and force Real Madrid to beat them from distance or by cross (in an approach not dissimilar to what Carlo Ancelotti did to Marseille).
- Even though Real Madrid had plenty of chances to win, Valencia’s plan worked. Los Blancos certainly had fewer clear chances than they’re used to generating, with the virtues of Valencia’s approach most evident in the 76th minute. Then, Ángel Di Maria was unable to blast a 22-yard shot through a crowded area, the block coming out to Marcelo roughly 34 yards from goal. It was a play we’ve seen so many times before – the ball sent right back in over a defense caught pushing up – but Real didn’t have the kind of penalty area presence to take advantage of it. While Marcelo’s cross for the back post was poor, Karim Benzema was seen cutting off his run, fading the right of the area.
- And Benzema should have won this match in the 78th minute. Cristiano Ronaldo fed him a perfect ball near the spot, and while Guaita came quickly, most of the goal was there for the taking. Instead, Benzema’s attempted chip went straight to the Guaita, keeping it scoreless.
- By the end of the match, Valencia was creating the better chances. Jeremy Mathieu had an open shot from 18 yards out in the 72nd minute. Aritz Aduriz had another chance minutes later with a header, and in the 85th minute, Iker Casillas had to come off his line to save Real’s point when Jordi Alba was put in behind Alvaro Arbeloa and Pepe. With Roberto Soldado brought on for the last 15 minutes, Valencia had the pieces to craft the upset.
- Whereas Unai Emery looked like he had a precise plan for the match, José Mourinho seemed to be tinkering. He started both Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain together – a rarity. By the end of the match, he had all of Benzema, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Kaká, and Jose Callejon on (along with Xabi Alonso and Marcelo). That kind of kitchen sink approach has worked before, but tonight it contributed to the feeling Real Madrid was as likely to lose as win.
- The draw leaves Real Madrid up four in La Liga, Barcelona sitting second with 75 points. Valencia point leaves them one up on Levante in third, but with first-place Malaga hosting Racing Santander in Monday, Los Che would find themselves in fourth by the time Rayo Vallecano visiting on Wednesday.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
Real Salt Lake demolished the Colorado Rapids, 5-1, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Five consecutive goals have Real Salt Lake ahead of the Colorado Rapids tonight, 5-1.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Preview of West Ham v. Liverpool match on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET this Saturday.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Watch Real Salt Lake encounter the Colorado Rapids live on NBCSN or NBC Sports Live Extra at 10:00 p.m. ET tonight.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Preview of Aston Villa vs. Arsenal match on NBCSN at 10:00 a.m. ET this Saturday.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho hold different rationales about midfielder Frank Lampard’s Stamford Bridge exit this year.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
UEFA president Michel Platini doesn’t wish to give into FIFA’s pressure to return a watch gifted to him at the World Cup.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Seattle Sounders FC have signed Nigerian defender Onyekachi Apam.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Financial figures for Arsenal released by club today.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Coritiba striker Joel brought out a one-of-a-kind goal celebration vs. Sao Paolo.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has sung the praises of former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who the forward believed was instrumental in getting himself exposure in Europe.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Gareth Bale could one day return to Tottenham, but his waxing poetic on White Hart Lane is likely nothing more than political fare.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Of course it’s possible that Louis van Gaal could bring Ronaldo to Manchester United, but he doesn’t believe his current team is interested.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
How many times in his life has Ronaldinho performed this task with flair (or at least adequately)?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Tim Howard’s stint as No. 1 USMNT backstop may be on hiatus, but the battle of who’s the top American goalkeeper in the Premier League is on
Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
An even rivalry heads to Loftus Road to start its season series on Saturday, kicking off the Premier League weekend.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 5, right here.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
A Washington Post report asks why Hope Solo is being celebrated for her on-field efforts while awaiting the results of her not guilty plea to domestic abuse charges.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
It’s not about the Impact, the CONCACAF Champions League or the club’s record. For Di Vaio, it’s about home.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Perhaps the investigation took a bit too long, but it seems many athletes did not understand the depths of their joke usage.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19