Apr 9, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
ProSoccerTalk Team of the Week for Major League Soccer’s Round 5.
- Seattle’s Michael Gspurning
Rationale, motive and intent: In a week without a lot of acrobatics, Seattle’s first-year backstopper made the right choices and came up big a time or two shutting out D.C. United to claim a road point.
Back line: (Right to left)
- Real Salt Lake’s Tony Beltran (pictured)
- Montreal’s Matteo Ferrari
- Dallas’ Ugo Ihemelu
- San Jose’s Ramiro Corrales
Rationale, motive and intent: Beltran, 24 years old, is a having a great year; you wonder if he’s starting to pop up on Jurgen Klinsmann’s radar. He had a pair of assists in RSL win over rival Colorado. Both Montreal center backs, Ferrari and Shavar Thomas, had a good afternoon as their Impact recorded its first MLS win. Ferrari’s leadership near the end proved critical. Ihemelu has been the steady presence along Dallas’ back line, and last Thursday he provided the dramatic stoppage-time game-winner. Corrales had two assists in a 3-1 win; as with Beltran, two assists for a fullback is always a big night.
- Seattle’s Brad Evans
- Kansas City’s Roger Espinoza
- Chivas USA’s Ryan Smith
Rationale, motive and intent: While Osvaldo Alonso has failed to get solid footing on his 2012 season so far, Evans is helping with meritorious all-around play like we saw in the scoreless draw with D.C. United. Espinoza, more trustworthy and less foul-prone this year, is helping Kansas City rewrite record books. Smith was a second-half substitute who changed the game for the Goats in their second road win this year.
- Real Salt Lake’s Fabian Espindola
- New York’s Thierry Henry
- New York’s Kenny Cooper
Rationale, motive and intent: Espindola is becoming more of a playmaker at Rio Tinto, working smartly off of Alvaro Saborio, who also had a good night in the win over Colorado. If you’re getting tired of seeing Thierry Henry and/or Kenny Cooper on this list … well, what can I say. They deserve it. Both had two goals in the latest Red Bulls triumph.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19