PST Player of the Week: Red Bulls striker Kenny Cooper

Apr 9, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v New York Red Bulls Getty Images

Hard to imagine that Kenny Cooper was fourth on the preseason depth chart of strikers around Red Bull Arena.

Also hard to imagine that even a little bit of creeping self-doubt didn’t ooze into his baggage when he packed up and left Portland in the winter, bound for Harrison, N.J.

He kept that chin up and things are going Cooper’s way now.

The confidence never dipped over three previous three years, when things failed to go his way in stops at Germany’s 1860 Munich, England’s Plymouth Argyle and with the Portland Timbers. He told me so the other day when we spoke for a Soccer Today segment. (The interview is here at the 12:45 mark of the program, but do check out the Shep Messing interview later, too.) Cooper talked about a tremendous support system that kept any seeds of doubt from flowering.

I feel very fortunate in that I have a great support system around me. I have a father around me who was in the professional game a long time. He coached, he played.  He is certainly someone I’m able to speak to, and we’re able to relate different professional experiences to one another. My family is a soccer family. We’ve been around the game our entire lives. Their support means the world to me, along with my wife and her family. Everyone helps keeps me positive whether things going well or not. I appreciate so much the belief they have in me. It’s my hope that no matter how things are going, I can keep my head on straight, stay focused and be positive, and they certainly help me do that on a daily basis.

It’s sure paying off this year.

About 24 hours after we spoke to Cooper, he nailed two more goals. In fact, Cooper hit the important first two as his Red Bulls dismantled a Columbus Crew defense that picked a very bad time for a nap.

Cooper is tied for second among MLS leading scorers.

Round 1: Kalif Alhassan, Portland

Round 2: David Estrada, Seattle

Round 3: Thierry Henry, New York

Round 4: Thierry Henry, New York

Round 5: Kenny Cooper, New York

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders

Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT

Zach Loyd, FC Dallas Zach Loyd, FC Dallas

A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.

2. MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers

Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT

Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver Whitecaps

Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.

3. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy

Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

D.C. United D.C. United

It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.

4. MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City

Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City

Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.

5. EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Gareth Bale, Wales Gareth Bale, Wales

It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.

6. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution

A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.

7. Orlando City SC field a four-man bench due to injuries, MLS playing through int’l window

Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Kaka, Orlando City SC Kaka, Orlando City SC

Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.

8. If you only read one story on Sol Campbell today, let it be this one.

Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Preview Screening of 'Invincibles' Getty Images

Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.

9. WATCH: Gareth Bale just scored a nice free kick for Wales… if you’re into that sort of thing

Mar 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Israel Wales Euro Soccer AP

A win would give Wales a two-point lead in Group B with a game-in-hand on both Israel and Cyprus.

10. Freddy Adu has joined a new club, this one in Finland

Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT

CBMeXdCVIAAteBM-300x225

The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.

11. Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter?

Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Denmark Soccer Usa AP

Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?

12. Liverpool’s Glen Johnson linked with summer move to, January start date with Barcelona

Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT

Liverpool Training Session Getty Images

This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.

13. Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT

Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Denmark US Soccer AP

Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.

14. Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

Russia's Igor Akinfeev hit by flare at Montenegro, match later abandoned Getty Images

Given UEFA president Michel Platini’s concerned words and warning about fan violence just this week, could he do something even more harsh?

15. Marsch critical of Klinsmann’s experimentation, lack of USMNT “identity”

Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Jesse Marsch AP

The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).

16. Injury update: England likely facing Italy without Welbeck, Sterling

Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

England v Slovenia - EURO 2016 Qualifier Getty Images

Both Danny Welbeck and Raheem Sterling will most likely be out of England’s friendly vs. Italy on Tuesday.

Week 30: Headline PL moment