Apr 10, 2012, 6:33 PM EST
Mexico has been chosen by CONCACAF to host the federation’s 2013 Under-20 championships, it was announced today. The governing body also picked Panama to host the Under-17 tournament.
The U-20 competition will take place in late February, while the U-17s will play in early April, and don’t worry: The United States is automatically qualified for both.
The tournaments serve as qualifiers for their worldwide events, also to be held in 2013. Four teams will qualify from Mexico to the U-20 championships in Turkey. The United Arab Emirates will be the site of the U-17 tournament, also taking four nations from CONCACAF.
Here’s how the last few editions of these tournaments have shaked out:
|2003||Panama, U.S.||Panama/Canada||Panama, Mexico, U.S., Canada||2003||Canada, Guatemala||Costa Rica, U.S.||Costa Rica, U.S., Mexico|
|2005||Honduras, U.S.||U.S./Canada||U.S., Panama, Honduras, Canada||2005||Costa Rica, Mexico||U.S., Mexico||U.S., Mexico, Costa Rica|
|2007||Panama, Mexico||U.S./Mexico||U.S., Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica||2007||Honduras, Jamaica||Haiti, Costa Rica||Costa Rica, Haiti, Honduras, Trinidad & Tobago, United States|
|2009||Trinidad & Tobago||Costa Rica||Costa Rica, U.S., Honduras, Trinidad & Tobago||2009||Mexico||None||Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, United States|
|2011||Guatemala||Mexico||Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada||2011||Jamaica||U.S.||Canada, Jamaica, Panama, U.S., Mexico (WC host)|
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)