Apr 10, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
We’ve already dropped knowledge and quasi-science on Parts II and III; here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers in our weekly MLS Rankings countdown, Nos. 1-6:
6. Seattle Sounders – How many nights will Marc Burch lay awake, pondering that stoppage-time header that cracked the crossbar against his old team? Well, a 0-0 draw in the Sounders’ first MLS road test of 2012 is hardly the worst of outcomes. They get back to CenturyLink Field this week as Mauro Rosales and Adam Johansson look set for a possible return.
5. New York Red Bulls – Everything is ice cream and lollipops for the first team in 16-plus Major League Soccer seasons to win three in a row by three goals or more. And holy extrapolation, Batman! Look what happens if we put pen and paper and deep ciphering to Thierry Henry’s early, league-leading total of seven goals: Over a 34-game season, he’d hit for 47! Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger would row across the Atlantic to beg personally if he thought Henry would exchange addresses once again at that point.
4. San Jose Earthquakes – There’s been so much said and written about New York’s high-scoring pair, it gets easy to forget a certain scoring machine quietly going about his business on the other coast. With two more last week, Chris Wondolowski is tied with Kenny Cooper on the MLS goal scoring chart at six, nipping at Henry’s seven. But to be fair, Wondolowski’s ongoing exploits are making it easier to overlook the real reason behind San Jose’s big success so far in 2012: guided by new center back Victor Bernardez, the Earthquakes have conceded just two goals in five matches.
3. Houston Dynamo – A two-week break that extended from March into April can hardly be considered ideal. “Let ‘em play!” But we’ll give the schedule maker a pass here since the idea was mitigating the strain of too many road matches while the paint dries and the bolts are tightened on BBVA Compass Stadium (opening date: May 12). This training ground injury to Brad Davis is unpleasant news as Dominic Kinnear puts his team on a plane for Chicago and this week’s visit to Toyota Park.
2. Real Salt Lake – Mark it down: This Saturday, 8:30 p.m., from Livestrong Sporting Park. Jason Kreis takes his team, atop the West with just one blemish in six matches, into Kansas City for a humdinger of an April matchup. In fact, this is the humdinger of all April matchups. Fabian Espindola, Ton Beltran and Kyle Beckerman are leading the charge at Rio Tinto, where last week’s businesslike, professional 2-0 win over Colorado helped arrange this week’s biggie.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Graham Zusi is getting the assists, Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong get ink for their ongoing U.S. international possibilities, Bobby Convey is the alleged “final piece” and everyone along the back line looks like a world beater. All fair enough. But the real driving force behind Sporting Kansas City’s record breaking start (15 of a possible 15 points) has been Kei Kamara. His aggressive, vertical-thinking play embodies what Kansas City is at best. He shares the team lead in goals with three.
May 23, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez has given himself more time to decide on his future at Wigan, and also gave them a wish list.
May 23, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Asmir Begovic is apparently intending on showing up at the door of another club to start training.
May 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
AS Monaco, rich with the injection of money from a Russian tycoon, are set to make a huge splash, possibly as much as €70 million.
May 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The United States U-18 squad drew with the hosts in the middle of three group-stage matches during the 19th Annual Lisbon International Juniors Tournament.
May 23, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
20-year-old Jonathan Osorio picked up his debut call-up to the Canadian national team along with three other Toronto FC teammates ahead of their friendly against Costa Rica on Tuesday.
May 23, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
“Football clubs live on and we’ll live on, we’ll move on.” They’ll move on, they have to. But will they effectively?
May 23, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
With the upcoming Champions League final this weekend featuring an all-German cast, Germany secured another massive Champions League achievement today.
May 23, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Anyone else bothered by the way Bayern Munich have conducted themselves ahead of this Saturday’s Champions League final?
May 23, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Sunderland’s central defender will say goodbye to the English Premier League in exchange for a switch stateside.
May 23, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Chelsea fans will be delighted, while those supporting Manchester City are sure to question who’s on their team’s mind.
May 23, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
Should the champions of the Europa League be awarded a spot in the following season’s Champions League?
May 23, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The city’s decision to permit Columbus to wear angers Espanyol fans, who believe Barca receives too much support from local institutions.
May 23, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Despite notching an impressive 104 goals in 185 matches since moving to the Bernabeu in 2007, Higuain has struggled this season.
May 23, 2013, 10:04 AM EDT
With Arsenal rumored to be courting Swansea center-back Ashley Williams, Thomas Vermaelen has some decisions to make.
May 22, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Serie A’s two Milanese clubs have yet to move for new head coaches.
May 22, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
Over the last three months, Rafa Benítez has reignited a floundering career.
May 22, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for the NWSL’s hard-luck team.
May 22, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The U.S. Open Cup draws sometimes need a decoder ring to decipher. Here’s a quick-and-dirty look at the MLS teams’ futures.
May 22, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
If PSG’s willing to take Rooney’s wages of their hands, Manchester United can justify moving on.
May 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Houston’s defensive leader sees his banned doubled by the Disciplinary Committee.
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 5
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1