Apr 10, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
We’ve already dropped knowledge and quasi-science on Parts II and III; here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers in our weekly MLS Rankings countdown, Nos. 1-6:
6. Seattle Sounders – How many nights will Marc Burch lay awake, pondering that stoppage-time header that cracked the crossbar against his old team? Well, a 0-0 draw in the Sounders’ first MLS road test of 2012 is hardly the worst of outcomes. They get back to CenturyLink Field this week as Mauro Rosales and Adam Johansson look set for a possible return.
5. New York Red Bulls – Everything is ice cream and lollipops for the first team in 16-plus Major League Soccer seasons to win three in a row by three goals or more. And holy extrapolation, Batman! Look what happens if we put pen and paper and deep ciphering to Thierry Henry’s early, league-leading total of seven goals: Over a 34-game season, he’d hit for 47! Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger would row across the Atlantic to beg personally if he thought Henry would exchange addresses once again at that point.
4. San Jose Earthquakes – There’s been so much said and written about New York’s high-scoring pair, it gets easy to forget a certain scoring machine quietly going about his business on the other coast. With two more last week, Chris Wondolowski is tied with Kenny Cooper on the MLS goal scoring chart at six, nipping at Henry’s seven. But to be fair, Wondolowski’s ongoing exploits are making it easier to overlook the real reason behind San Jose’s big success so far in 2012: guided by new center back Victor Bernardez, the Earthquakes have conceded just two goals in five matches.
3. Houston Dynamo – A two-week break that extended from March into April can hardly be considered ideal. “Let ‘em play!” But we’ll give the schedule maker a pass here since the idea was mitigating the strain of too many road matches while the paint dries and the bolts are tightened on BBVA Compass Stadium (opening date: May 12). This training ground injury to Brad Davis is unpleasant news as Dominic Kinnear puts his team on a plane for Chicago and this week’s visit to Toyota Park.
2. Real Salt Lake – Mark it down: This Saturday, 8:30 p.m., from Livestrong Sporting Park. Jason Kreis takes his team, atop the West with just one blemish in six matches, into Kansas City for a humdinger of an April matchup. In fact, this is the humdinger of all April matchups. Fabian Espindola, Ton Beltran and Kyle Beckerman are leading the charge at Rio Tinto, where last week’s businesslike, professional 2-0 win over Colorado helped arrange this week’s biggie.
1. Sporting Kansas City – Graham Zusi is getting the assists, Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong get ink for their ongoing U.S. international possibilities, Bobby Convey is the alleged “final piece” and everyone along the back line looks like a world beater. All fair enough. But the real driving force behind Sporting Kansas City’s record breaking start (15 of a possible 15 points) has been Kei Kamara. His aggressive, vertical-thinking play embodies what Kansas City is at best. He shares the team lead in goals with three.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”
Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 4
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 5
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3