Apr 10, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
He was originally supposed to be out four to six weeks, but if head coach Aron Winter’s prognosis holds, dearly missed Toronto FC sweeper Torsten Frings could be back this weekend.
Sportsnet’s John Molinaro had the news this afternoon:
… Winter claims the German midfielder is “very close to coming back” and he could see action against Chivas on the weekend.
“That we have to wait and see. … It could be. It could be,” Winter told reporters Tuesday morning prior to the team’s practice.
Frings has been out since suffering a hamstring injury on Mar. 17 in Seattle, TFC’s season opener. The 35-year-old’s only other action this year was against LA Galaxy in the Champions League quarterfinals.
This may be fortune cookie wisdom, but it’s applicable here: Any time you can get your best player back, it’s a good thing. And as we saw earlier this year, if TFC’s captain isn’t their best player, he’s certainly their best defender. His experience and leadership are sorely needed in a defense that was the league’s worst last season and has allowed more that two goals per game in 2012.
TFC looks for their first points of the season Saturday at BMO, hosting Chivas USA.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public