Apr 11, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
Now that it’s official – before it was officially the worst kept secret in American soccer – that Chelsea will return as this year’s MLS All-Star opponent, take a second to review the last time it happened.
2006 was the year. Major E coli breakouts had us reconsidering the merits of spinach and lettuce. Barry Bonds walloped No. 715 to pass Babe Ruth’s record. (Ahem. We’ll just move on.)
Mel Gibson’s mouth got him in big trouble. Of course, that could be a lot of different years.
And Joe Cannon was flummoxing Jose Mourinho’s Blues of Stamford Bridge, who made their way over to meet the MLS All-Stars at Toyota Park.
Dwayne De Rosario did what he does during the Battle in Bridgeview, audaciously aiming at goal. Meanwhile, Cannon was big in the closing minutes and Eddie Robinson added an important goal-line clearance in the 1-0 win. A win for Major League Soccer, that is – back when they used to win these things.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 1
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public