Apr 11, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT
One of my favorite lines from Stephen Colbert has the Comedy Central parody king sitting across from a congressman. Colbert begins one query: “Now, you’ve been linked to big cuts in educational spending and …”
The congressman looks baffled and says, “Wait a minute, I haven’t been linked to those cuts…”
At which point Colbert says dismissively, “Well, I just did … so let’s move on.”
See, that’s how my business works too often, for better or worse. All it takes to be “linked” is for someone with microphone or a URL and a logon to make the first move. See? Then, everybody else with a microphone, or a URL and a logon can gleefully glom on, piggy-backing on the original “link” – never mind if there’s any actual substance to it.
So, when it comes to Clint Demspey and a summer transfer, expect it be a high “linked to” zone.
In a better world, none of us would play along. We would require corroboration or substantiation from one or, even better, two sources. But we’re clearly past such a quaint notion now.
I have yet to see anyone attribute any alleged Manchester United interest in Dempsey. Nor have I seen attribution to the £10m (about $16 million) transfer fee speculation that seems to have materialized out of nowhere.
But it’s out there. From a respected outlet, no less, in The Guardian.
At least they label it under “Football Transfer Rumours.”
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games