Apr 11, 2012, 3:36 PM EST
The champs make a second consecutive appearance on ProSoccerTalk’s weekly “MLS Panic Quotient?” (®) That doesn’t really surprise anyone, now does it? It’s our weekly temperature check on panic in the streets of MLS.
PORTLAND TIMBERS: There’s just no way to spin the ugliness off two home losses in three home games. Missing elements: goals, leadership, accountability, steadiness, defense when it matters, confidence, communication, consistency … you know, the little things. The players are saying all the right words, expressing outrage in all the right places and demanding that one another stand up and be counted. But what if they figure out the personnel mix just isn’t right? Because huffing and puffing and banging on about intangibles might patch up some of the holes, but will it be enough?
Panic quotient: Mother-in-law coming for a visit. A nice, long visit.
LOS ANGELES GALAXY: Bruce Arena is keeping a brave face, reminding anyone who will listen his center back situation isn’t as dire as all that. Leonardo is on the mend, rookie Tommy Meyer will get there sooner or later and Andrew Boyens … well … I’m sure he had something convincing to say about Andrew Boyens, although I simply cannot recall what it might have been. Meanwhile, he made himself a little trade, quietly bringing in a new center back. (Don’t get too excited, though; this isn’t exactly Kenny Cooper-going-to-Red Bulls stuff.) And this business of David Beckham’s back troubles cannot be good news.
Panic quotient: Fought heavy traffic but finally arrived at stadium for the Big Game. “Wait a minute, you have the tickets, right?”
TORONTO FC: Manager Aron Winter told everyone he had a three-year plan for the Reds. Last year was tough on the BMO faithful (numbers drifting, as they were). Patience was generally afforded for the Dutchman’s dynamic vision. But what, in the name of Rinus Michels, is going on now? After rising and inspiring hope near 2011’s end, the side seems to have regressed in 2012. The numbers are horrible to look at, like dead sturgeon washing up out of Lake Ontario: a 0-4-0 record with a measly two goals scored. Three-year plans are fine and all, but no points from four contests? Surely that’s not an element in the program. Help them Torsten Frings! You’re their only hope.
Panic quotient: Mechanic calls. Your car is ready. “Say, is anybody around who can be with you … ya know, before we go over the final bill?”
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park