Apr 11, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
Birthday of note: Close to home, New York Red Bulls’ central defender Stephen Keel turns 29 today. Recommended birthday gift: Brazilian blowout. Venturing abroad, Valencia wide man Pablo Hernández turns 27, right about the time where running 22.2 miles on Sunday to slow down Real Madrid starts to take its toll you.
Big, major, OMG story you must follow today: For Real Madrid, four is the magic number. They need to be four points in front of Barcelona by the time the teams meet at Camp Nou on Apr. 21. Else? Barcelona has the edge in La Liga. Today, los Merengues are only one point up on Barça, have a match in hand, and visit the Vincente Calderon to take on Atlético Madrid. So … they kinda need to win, yeah?
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mark Chung.
Ahead on the blog today*: Your MLS Panic Quotient (®), thoughts on MLS disciplinary dissension, and some bits and bops on all randomness of mid-week match days.
Twitter dap: D.C. United defender Brandon Marshall takes lunch very seriously:
Lil catch up reading on this nice Tuesday afternoon! http://yfrog.com/ntaw4uej
The link? (You got a hint, above.)
When your adversary has thin crust, respond with thick.
PST background noise while blogging today: Without irony, listening to Dr. Dre’s “The Chronic”.
We’ll leave you with: Notice that small, vacant spot in the U.S. soccer landscape? Probably not, but by this time each of the last three years, Women’s Professional Soccer had started their season. This year, WPS is in this strange, indefinite, suspended-league limbo, leaving a lot of us without our women’s soccer fix. While admittedly, I didn’t shed a tear when WPS hit the brakes, now I miss those afternoon matches on FOX Soccer and the dense Twitter devotion that accompanied them. Now, the best remnants of WPS can be seen on Tumblr, but that’s nowhere near enough. We need a women’s, professional, first division soccer back. Soon.
* – insert standard disclaimer here. No, there.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1