Apr 11, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
Birthday of note: Close to home, New York Red Bulls’ central defender Stephen Keel turns 29 today. Recommended birthday gift: Brazilian blowout. Venturing abroad, Valencia wide man Pablo Hernández turns 27, right about the time where running 22.2 miles on Sunday to slow down Real Madrid starts to take its toll you.
Big, major, OMG story you must follow today: For Real Madrid, four is the magic number. They need to be four points in front of Barcelona by the time the teams meet at Camp Nou on Apr. 21. Else? Barcelona has the edge in La Liga. Today, los Merengues are only one point up on Barça, have a match in hand, and visit the Vincente Calderon to take on Atlético Madrid. So … they kinda need to win, yeah?
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mark Chung.
Ahead on the blog today*: Your MLS Panic Quotient (®), thoughts on MLS disciplinary dissension, and some bits and bops on all randomness of mid-week match days.
Twitter dap: D.C. United defender Brandon Marshall takes lunch very seriously:
Lil catch up reading on this nice Tuesday afternoon! http://yfrog.com/ntaw4uej
The link? (You got a hint, above.)
When your adversary has thin crust, respond with thick.
PST background noise while blogging today: Without irony, listening to Dr. Dre’s “The Chronic”.
We’ll leave you with: Notice that small, vacant spot in the U.S. soccer landscape? Probably not, but by this time each of the last three years, Women’s Professional Soccer had started their season. This year, WPS is in this strange, indefinite, suspended-league limbo, leaving a lot of us without our women’s soccer fix. While admittedly, I didn’t shed a tear when WPS hit the brakes, now I miss those afternoon matches on FOX Soccer and the dense Twitter devotion that accompanied them. Now, the best remnants of WPS can be seen on Tumblr, but that’s nowhere near enough. We need a women’s, professional, first division soccer back. Soon.
* – insert standard disclaimer here. No, there.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
It’s early days, but while City close the gap, Manchester United have yet to act.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With a buy-out in his contract, Villas-Boas likely will be given a choice between Paris and London.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Steve Bruce reunites with a player he brought to Wigan Athletic.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Tahiti are a great story, but nobody wins when small countries get slaughtered by the world’s top teams.
Jun 17, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
The U.S. midfielder has successfully completed the concussion recovery protocol:
Jun 17, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
So just how serious are PSG? Word has it they’re ready to break the Premier League transfer record.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public