Apr 11, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
Two shocking things happened on my latest, almost-annual England trip for soccer watching, beer drinking and … well, that’s pretty much what the trip is all about.
First, I got behind that right-seated steering wheel and maneuvered safely through UK streets without smashing myself or anybody else. Praise be.
Second, I found myself in Wigan of all places, on a surprisingly glorious February afternoon, sipping coffee in the teeming city center while killing time on a mid-week match day.
Wigan, I would discover, is “rugby country.” Who knew? Others, admittedly closer to the situation, might argue otherwise.
But how can you reasonably argue the point when Wigan meets mighty Manchester United, as Roberto Martinez’s side did today – and so few bother to make the date? You’ve probably heard of Manchester United, globally recognized icon, Premiership kingpins and all?
The big buzz today is about a Shaun Maloney 50th minute goal, one that threw a small “spanner in the works” of the Premiership race. Wigan manufactured perhaps THE upset of the Barclay’s season in a 1-0 shocker.
Anyway, I thought of this rugby town-football town tussle while watching Wigan hang desperately on against Sir Alex Fergusons’s men. They did, of course … but how nice if more Wiganites would have been around to witness it.
Plenty of good seats were available as the Latics put a wee little leak in the Man U. steamship, as yet another EPL crown lies dead ahead.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team