Apr 13, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
A few minutes ago we talked FA Cup Saturday. Here are some quick hits to get you up to date on the ever-active affairs around Anfield:
- With Pepe Reina and Doni suspended, Brad Jones will start in goal for Liverpool. The Australia is only one-year removed from a tragic loss. Peter Gulacsi has been recalled from his loan at Hull City to backup Jones. (Coincidentally, Steve had some Thursday thoughts on the value of backup `keepers.)
- From the same, linked article, Dalglish’s thoughts on this weekend’s 23rd anniversary of Hillsborough and the match’s planned moment of silence:
“A minute’s silence at Wembley – it’s ironic that it’s Liverpool and Everton at Wembley again because that was the final that year,” Dalglish said. “It’s going to be very emotive for everybody. The Evertonians were affected by Hillsborough as well as the Liverpool fans, with family members who never came home. It will be poignant and I’m sure both sets of fans will grace the minute’s silence with the dignity they’ve shown since 1989.”
- Andy Carroll’s Tuesday winner at Ewood Park creates a small selection quandary. If the goal is rewarded with faith from Dalglish, Carroll could start with Suarez up top, leaving Liverpool with Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt, and Maxi Rodríguez as attacking-esque options from the bench.
- At the back, Daniel Agger’s return to health creates another pre-match question. Will the Danish international resume his place along side Martin Skrtel?
- On Thursday, Liverpool parted ways with Damien Comolli, who was serving as director of football. “[M]utual consent” was cited, but chairman Tom Warner also noted “it was important to make this change expeditiously” with the approaching transfer window. With Kenny Dalglish having last say on a number of transfer busts, it remains to be seen if this is the first domino.
- And finally, some thoughts from Steven Gerrard:
Dec 18, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Luke Shaw is ready to make his return after nearly a month out of action.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Mix Diskerud is on the move, and he may be headed south of the border.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 PM EST
Chicharito isn’t getting games for Real Madrid, but his agent insists he won’t end his loan deal early.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
It may be 14 years after the fact, but Paul Scholes is owning up to his fault in one of the greatest goals of all-time.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
Inspired by Monday’s loss, the USWNT were out for vengeance — and goals — against Argentina.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Find out who went where in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
As we head into the busy festive season, here’s how the rankings of power look before Week 17.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
Winger set to return to full training, may return to action this Sunday at Anfield.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalty kicks… really?
Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
USMNT attacker heading back to MLS.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need now is an MLS expansion franchise.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EST
Reus has been speeding around in his Aston Martin without a license. Gets biggest motoring fine in German history.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:54 AM EST
Dig into all the latest gossip, right here.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 PM EST
Could Cole be returning to the Premier League?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Bad jokes make Christmas.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 3
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1