Apr 13, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
A few minutes ago we talked FA Cup Saturday. Here are some quick hits to get you up to date on the ever-active affairs around Anfield:
- With Pepe Reina and Doni suspended, Brad Jones will start in goal for Liverpool. The Australia is only one-year removed from a tragic loss. Peter Gulacsi has been recalled from his loan at Hull City to backup Jones. (Coincidentally, Steve had some Thursday thoughts on the value of backup `keepers.)
- From the same, linked article, Dalglish’s thoughts on this weekend’s 23rd anniversary of Hillsborough and the match’s planned moment of silence:
“A minute’s silence at Wembley – it’s ironic that it’s Liverpool and Everton at Wembley again because that was the final that year,” Dalglish said. “It’s going to be very emotive for everybody. The Evertonians were affected by Hillsborough as well as the Liverpool fans, with family members who never came home. It will be poignant and I’m sure both sets of fans will grace the minute’s silence with the dignity they’ve shown since 1989.”
- Andy Carroll’s Tuesday winner at Ewood Park creates a small selection quandary. If the goal is rewarded with faith from Dalglish, Carroll could start with Suarez up top, leaving Liverpool with Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt, and Maxi Rodríguez as attacking-esque options from the bench.
- At the back, Daniel Agger’s return to health creates another pre-match question. Will the Danish international resume his place along side Martin Skrtel?
- On Thursday, Liverpool parted ways with Damien Comolli, who was serving as director of football. “[M]utual consent” was cited, but chairman Tom Warner also noted “it was important to make this change expeditiously” with the approaching transfer window. With Kenny Dalglish having last say on a number of transfer busts, it remains to be seen if this is the first domino.
- And finally, some thoughts from Steven Gerrard:
Sep 15, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
It was a week so fertile for goals that one of the world’s biggest names couldn’t dent the strike force of the PL team of the week.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
No one’s doing it quite like this man right now, who again takes hold of player of the week honors in the Premier League.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
There are five goals here, but it only took four matches to comprise the list.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Costa Rica won the tournament for the eighth time, defeating Guatemala in the final.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Newcastle United players and their manager have come under fire from ex-Liverpool back Jamie Carragher, who blasted the club on “Monday Night Football”
Sep 15, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Sounders have three titles and won their first win Le Toux. Soccerly hosts an essay on his quest to deny them a fourth.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The English FA asked FIFA to extend Anelka’s quenelle suspension beyond Britain’s borders.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Oktoberfest begins Sept. 20, and 1860 Munich is going all-in when it comes to their away attire.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Abel Hernandez, Enner Valencia, Mohamed Diame and Diafra Sakho all made their presences felt on NBCSN at the KC Stadium on Monday.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Certainly one of the goals of the early season, as West Ham continues to tempt the highlight reels despite a tough start to the season.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Brek Shea had a loan debut to remember, while Julian Green had one to forget and both Tim Howard and Brad Guzan kept clean sheets.
Sep 15, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
Abel Hernandez has a goal and had another creation ruled offsides as the hosts rose to steal the first half with late heroics.
Sep 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Schedules, chances of making the last 16, predictions. Your one-stop shop for all the info as the UCL group stages begins for four PL teams.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Record-signing Abel Hernandez (Palermo) makes his Hull City debut as the Tigers look to pick up their second win of the season.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Ferdinand: “It killed me. Inside I wanted to scream and grab him.”
Sep 15, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
All four Spanish teams are looking odds on to make it out of the group stage. What about the big clubs from England and Germany?
Sep 15, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
All the news and quotes ahead of the Monday afternoon matchup.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
PST’s lead writer and editor takes an alternative look at all the action from Week 4.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Calderon claims that Ronaldo is frustrated with life at Real after several high-profile exits.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Beckham: “What unites us is much greater than what divides us. Let’s stay together.”
- Premier League Round 4: Goals of the week 0
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United shine bright like a diamond 0