Apr 13, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
A few minutes ago we talked FA Cup Saturday. Here are some quick hits to get you up to date on the ever-active affairs around Anfield:
- With Pepe Reina and Doni suspended, Brad Jones will start in goal for Liverpool. The Australia is only one-year removed from a tragic loss. Peter Gulacsi has been recalled from his loan at Hull City to backup Jones. (Coincidentally, Steve had some Thursday thoughts on the value of backup `keepers.)
- From the same, linked article, Dalglish’s thoughts on this weekend’s 23rd anniversary of Hillsborough and the match’s planned moment of silence:
“A minute’s silence at Wembley – it’s ironic that it’s Liverpool and Everton at Wembley again because that was the final that year,” Dalglish said. “It’s going to be very emotive for everybody. The Evertonians were affected by Hillsborough as well as the Liverpool fans, with family members who never came home. It will be poignant and I’m sure both sets of fans will grace the minute’s silence with the dignity they’ve shown since 1989.”
- Andy Carroll’s Tuesday winner at Ewood Park creates a small selection quandary. If the goal is rewarded with faith from Dalglish, Carroll could start with Suarez up top, leaving Liverpool with Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt, and Maxi Rodríguez as attacking-esque options from the bench.
- At the back, Daniel Agger’s return to health creates another pre-match question. Will the Danish international resume his place along side Martin Skrtel?
- On Thursday, Liverpool parted ways with Damien Comolli, who was serving as director of football. “[M]utual consent” was cited, but chairman Tom Warner also noted “it was important to make this change expeditiously” with the approaching transfer window. With Kenny Dalglish having last say on a number of transfer busts, it remains to be seen if this is the first domino.
- And finally, some thoughts from Steven Gerrard:
Mar 3, 2015, 2:35 PM EST
The FA says the finding of “significant new information” has led them to extend the investigation.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
A massive relegation six-pointer between these two north east rivals. Watch live online, here.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Can Villa get their first win under Sherwood in this huge Midlands derby? Watch live online, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EST
Can Saints get back to winning ways as old boss Pardew brings Palace to town? Watch live online, here.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:33 PM EST
With just over 72 hours to go until the MLS season kicks off, talks between the league and the Players Union still ongoing.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:08 PM EST
The Dynamo have a few new pieces and Owen Coyle is a trailblazer, but things still smell of the failures of last year, and this season looks to be a mountain for the Dynamo to climb.
Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Could the former USMNT head coach move into an executive role for the first time?
Mar 3, 2015, 11:36 AM EST
Which one of Major League Soccer’s new stars will make the biggest impact? There are plenty of familiar faces, but also a few new ones looking to make a name for themselves.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
He will stay as owner and has appointed his 23-year-old grandson as his successor.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:16 AM EST
It’s going to be a grind, but can the Union make the playoffs? They have the talent.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:09 AM EST
Can Tim Sherwood pick up his first points with Aston Villa on the third try? Midweek Premier League action!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:16 PM EST
It’s been a tough run for Southampton, but it’s not the first bump in the road this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
RVDV to SKC? Bild says they’re making their play, and offering lots of cash.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
Reports of racist abuse are up 70 percent, which is actually a good thing, because it’s being reported more than ever before.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
John Terry knows he’s fighting every year for a new contract at Chelsea, and it’s inspired the best form of his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Chicago has only made the playoffs once in the past five seasons, but with some big offseason signings, the Fire could cause problems in the East.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:41 PM EST
Sherwood’s putting all his eggs into Tuesday night’s derby basket, for better or for worse.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
The title race was minutes from being OVER; it’s still probably over. Tevez’s goal was an absolute beauty.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Last season’s worst team in the West has a new stadium and high hopes for 2015.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:21 PM EST
Jerseys, jerseys, jerseys! More new jerseys!
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. West Bromwich Albion (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league still at impasse as talks go down to the wire 1
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 0
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0