Apr 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
You can’t blame those who thought the losses of Andy Williams, Collen Warner, Robbie Russell, and Jean Alexandre would tear into Real Salt Lake’s characteristic depth, but after one month of the season, it’s clear RSL’s reloaded.
Early season fitness issues surrounding Javier Morales and Alvaro Saborio allowed Jason Kreis to show off this year’s reinforcements. Paulo Junior’s role looks set to expand again up top. Luis Gil is ready to persist with the contributions he made in Morales’ absence, while Sebastian Velasquez and Jonny Steele have claimed regular spots in Kreis’ midfield rotation. Chris Schuler is pushing Nat Borchers at the back.
To this point, Kreis hasn’t had to give a firm indication as to who’s in his choice XI, though it was assumed Alvaro Saborio and Fabian Espindola will be his forwards, Ned Grabavoy and Will Johnson will get the key starts between Javier Morales and Kyle Beckerman, while Nat Borchers will have the toughest time retaining his starting spot along side Jamison Olave.
But as RSL approaches full health, questions persist. Let’s look at how the playing time has shaken out thus far:
- Although Alvaro Saborio has appeared in all six matches, he’s only started two. Paulo Junior has been the regular starter as the team’s advanced attacker, usually supported by Fabian Espindola. Outstanding question: When will Saborio resume his starting spot?
- At the top of the diamond, Morales has only started once, playing just 212 minutes all season. Luis Gil, however, has started six times, five in the midfield’s most advanced position. Outstanding questions: When will Morales fully return, and does that bump Gil to the bench or the left side of midfield?
- At the wide midfield positions, Ned Grabavoy and Sebastian Velasquez have made the most starts, but Will Johnson, Jonny Steele and Gil are also options. Johnson was hobbled to start the year, though his time out only created an opening for Velasquez. Outstanding question: Which two players will emerge as go-to guys between Morales and Beckerman?
- And at the back, Chris Schuler’s gotten four starts, Nat Borchers two to the left of Jamison Olave. Borchers was slowed up by injury last month, but even since his return, the former MLS Best XI member is time-sharing. Outstanding question: Does Kreis see this as Schuler’s time?
I couldn’t find a good place to link this within the piece, but if you want a little more on Saturday’s showdown, here’s a little bit on how the formations match up as well as the potential impact of Sporting Kansas City’s Bobby Convey.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In 2010, a series of young Americans looked prime for breakthroughs. Their experience reminds up: Four years is a long way off.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Our first Power Rankings of the 2014-15 season. What do you think?
Aug 28, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Rubio Rubin, Joe Gyau, and Emerson Hyndman are among the roster’s most-intriguing prospects for 2018.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Jenna, JPW and Prindi break down Di Maria to United, Balotelli to Liverpool and Chelsea’s tough trip to Everton.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
A striker from Stanford could become the first collegian in the MLS era to play for the USA. Who is he?
Aug 28, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Four top teams in the hunt for Falcao. Will they cough up the cash for a loan deal?
Aug 28, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Klinsmann selects Stanford forward, several American youngsters based in Europe for Czech Republic clash.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Can Arsenal and Man City navigate tough UCL groups, again?
Aug 28, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Ronaldo named ‘best player in Europe’ for outstanding 2013-14 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The eight groups are set as the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League will kick off next month.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Louis van Gaal delighted, yet realistic, as Di Maria speaks for the first time as a United player.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Galaxy win third-straight, go second in the West as Donovan continues to shine during elongated swansong.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
Chicharito on the move to Italy or Spain?
Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
We continue our look at what each PL team needs to do in the final few days of the window.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
All the details you need to know, as the UCL group stage draw takes place on Thursday.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
England international reportedly chased by several PL clubs, as Spurs join the suitors.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:16 AM EDT
Rooney handed the armband by Hodgson, as new-look England head into a brave new era.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
“I play a lot of Football Manager,” Gomis said.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Reports indicate Chelsea striker Diego Costa has suffered a hamstring injury that will keep him out of the side for four to six weeks.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 1
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 2
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 0
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7