Apr 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
You can’t blame those who thought the losses of Andy Williams, Collen Warner, Robbie Russell, and Jean Alexandre would tear into Real Salt Lake’s characteristic depth, but after one month of the season, it’s clear RSL’s reloaded.
Early season fitness issues surrounding Javier Morales and Alvaro Saborio allowed Jason Kreis to show off this year’s reinforcements. Paulo Junior’s role looks set to expand again up top. Luis Gil is ready to persist with the contributions he made in Morales’ absence, while Sebastian Velasquez and Jonny Steele have claimed regular spots in Kreis’ midfield rotation. Chris Schuler is pushing Nat Borchers at the back.
To this point, Kreis hasn’t had to give a firm indication as to who’s in his choice XI, though it was assumed Alvaro Saborio and Fabian Espindola will be his forwards, Ned Grabavoy and Will Johnson will get the key starts between Javier Morales and Kyle Beckerman, while Nat Borchers will have the toughest time retaining his starting spot along side Jamison Olave.
But as RSL approaches full health, questions persist. Let’s look at how the playing time has shaken out thus far:
- Although Alvaro Saborio has appeared in all six matches, he’s only started two. Paulo Junior has been the regular starter as the team’s advanced attacker, usually supported by Fabian Espindola. Outstanding question: When will Saborio resume his starting spot?
- At the top of the diamond, Morales has only started once, playing just 212 minutes all season. Luis Gil, however, has started six times, five in the midfield’s most advanced position. Outstanding questions: When will Morales fully return, and does that bump Gil to the bench or the left side of midfield?
- At the wide midfield positions, Ned Grabavoy and Sebastian Velasquez have made the most starts, but Will Johnson, Jonny Steele and Gil are also options. Johnson was hobbled to start the year, though his time out only created an opening for Velasquez. Outstanding question: Which two players will emerge as go-to guys between Morales and Beckerman?
- And at the back, Chris Schuler’s gotten four starts, Nat Borchers two to the left of Jamison Olave. Borchers was slowed up by injury last month, but even since his return, the former MLS Best XI member is time-sharing. Outstanding question: Does Kreis see this as Schuler’s time?
I couldn’t find a good place to link this within the piece, but if you want a little more on Saturday’s showdown, here’s a little bit on how the formations match up as well as the potential impact of Sporting Kansas City’s Bobby Convey.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Chelsea clinched the title last season with a win against Crystal Palace, and the Blues will be looking for a similar result on Saturday at Stamford Bridge.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer predicts the scores for every PL game this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Can the Gunners kick-start their season at St James? Watch live, NBCSN, Saturday 7:45 a.m. ET.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Rivalry Week is upon us once again, and if it lives up to the last edition, we’re going to be in for a mighty good time.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
Liverpool and England legend seems to be enjoying life in LA. Check out his video of Swifty.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
Premier League teams will rack up plenty of air miles this season in Europa League action.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Wolfsburg admit to talks over KDB, as City’s offer of wages blow Bundesliga side out of the water.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:04 AM EDT
Segregation of U.S. and Mexico fans key for CONCACAF for huge showdown in Pasadena.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
South Korean international becomes Spurs’ third most-expensive signing in club history.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Why yes, Mr. Wenger, one would have to agree with that assessment. In particular, it’s the finishing that’s killing them, he says.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Next summers tournament will go on, but CONCACAF might not participate, which means the Copa needs a new host nation.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Rog talks with Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho about his coaching philosophy, post-match press conferences and football in America.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT
With the transfer deadline now just four days away, some of these deals are (finally) getting done.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Southampton can now fully focus on the Premier League, because they’re officially out of Europe.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
The transfer deadline looms large as the Premier Leagues 20 teams head into Week 4. Who will be the panic buyers of 2015?
Aug 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Yeah, you know Stanford’s Jordan Morris, but Washington’s Mason Robertson and Oregon State’s Timmy Mueller outscored him last year and will look to do the same this season.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Neymar could be a stunt double for Limerick’s Barry Cotter.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
UCL draw hands two PL teams favorable groups. As for the other two… woof.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Argentine superstar picks up second UEFA Best Player award after stunning treble-winning season.
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 1
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 8
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2