Apr 14, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Sporting Kansas City’s Aurelien Collin is a top-level MLS center back when he plays in control. Saturday, we saw the “under control” Collin, timing his challenges and entrances into passing lanes to claim almost everything near him. His work in the first half was especially flawless, and then he turned up with the game-winning header to keep his team’s record perfect through six matches.
Packaged for take-away:
- Collin was 100 percent unchallenged on the game-winner; It was RSL’s Alvaro Saborio who lost Collin on the restart.
- A contest between the best of each conference played out very tactically. RSL was fairly conservative, which isn’t really the RSL way. Fullbacks Tony Beltran and Chris Wingert mostly declined to join the attack, and midfielders were slow to arrive in support of their strikers. The result was quality soccer, but “tactically” quality soccer, and not necessarily explosive attacking stuff.
- Sporting Kansas City’s high-pressure ways, so expertly coordinated in terms of when to press as a unit, made things tough on Real Salt Lake. The visitors never found the passing rhythm for which Jason Kreis’ teams are known.
- The early corner kicks by Graham Zusi and Bobby Convey were brutal. Surprisingly so. But Zusi began finding the sweet spot on his deliveries, including the game-winning assist to Collin.
- That assist matched Thierry Henry’s in New York, which means Zusi still leads the league (and Henry) by one.
- Speaking of corner kicks, it’s awful tough to see where the foul was on C.J. Sapong’s disallowed first-half goal.
- If you watch the impact Kei Kamara continually has on matches, including a lot of laudable help on SKC’s defensive end, and then compare it to the impact-Lite that Convey is supplying on the opposite wing, it’s not even close.
- The only sore point Saturday for Sporting Kansas City: Peter Vermes’ team did, finally, allow a shot on goal. So the streak was snapped at a remarkable 335 minutes.
- That shot on goal? By the end, RSL center back Nat Borchers was playing as another forward, as RSL resorted the old faithful of late, playing-from-behind tactics, pushing long balls hopefully into the penalty area. Borchers got onto one to direct a header on goal, which Jimmy Neilsen handled comfortably.
- Last shot on goal against Sporting Kansas City before Borchers’ header: March 25.
- Real Salt Lake went to a 4-3-3 for the last 15 minutes and did find space not previously available, mostly out on the right wing, where Fabian Espindola gave left back Seth Sinovic some trouble.
- Roger Espinoza had another busy, effective night as the left-sided man in SKC’s midfield triangle. Like Collin, he’s a highly useful and skillful individual when he plays under control.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
MLS heading to the Twin Cities?
Apr 16, 2014, 7:58 AM EDT
Kroos’ camp say he won’t move on until 2015, as Bayern and United scrap over German star.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT
The top 10 best paid sports teams in the world revealed. Find out who pays the most, right here:
Apr 15, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Mexico’s top two teams reach halftime of their two-legged final, with leg two kickoff next Wednesday in Toluca.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
The top four remain unchanged, while Houston, New England, and Portland make big shifts on this week’s chart.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Thoughts from NBCSN’s analysts as will as footage from Rodgers’, Martínez’s speeches at Anfield.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Three LA Galaxy players join two members of the Columbus Crew in our Best XI.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Gunners go back into the top four, but can they hold off Everton?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Four soccer players rank amount the world’s top 25 earners.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Columbus’s Costa Rican international is the latest player to donate to MLS Works.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
The Gunners overcame a Matt Jarvis opener to take their second win of the season from the Irons.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Klopp to take over at White Hart Lane?
Apr 15, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Last week’s hat trick couldn’t snare our honor, but two goals in Dallas made the Sounder star this week’s best player.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Can the Clarets join the Foxes in the big time?
Apr 15, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
A story from The Daily Beast deals with many obstacles faced by the girls, including some prevailing belief that they shouldn’t even watch sport, let alone play soccer.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
The Gunners and Hammers are putting some London derby bragging rights on the line this evening at the Emirates Stadium live on NBCSN and online NBC Sports Live Extra
Apr 15, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
West Ham last took a point from Arsenal in an October 2009 draw, and hasn’t beaten the Gunners since an April 7, 2007 win at the Emirates.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
MLSSoccer.com’s “MLS Insider” series brings a strong video on the anniversary of Matt Reis’ heroics at the Boston Marathon bombing.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
His speech was equal parts soccer fan, Merseyside resident and fixture in the game.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Let’s say you’re dating your ex-teammate’s ex-wife and spend a lot of time with his kids. What’s a super scummy idea before your team plays his?
- Minnesota Vikings “stepping up” bid for MLS franchise 0
- Manchester City the best paid team in sport, beat New York Yankees to accolade 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 0
- ProSoccerTalk MLS Team of the Week – Week 6 0
- Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can finish in the top four 4
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham United: Podolski double puts Gunners back in the win column (video) 1