Apr 14, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Man of the Match: Sporting Kansas City’s Aurelien Collin is a top-level MLS center back when he plays in control. Saturday, we saw the “under control” Collin, timing his challenges and entrances into passing lanes to claim almost everything near him. His work in the first half was especially flawless, and then he turned up with the game-winning header to keep his team’s record perfect through six matches.
Packaged for take-away:
- Collin was 100 percent unchallenged on the game-winner; It was RSL’s Alvaro Saborio who lost Collin on the restart.
- A contest between the best of each conference played out very tactically. RSL was fairly conservative, which isn’t really the RSL way. Fullbacks Tony Beltran and Chris Wingert mostly declined to join the attack, and midfielders were slow to arrive in support of their strikers. The result was quality soccer, but “tactically” quality soccer, and not necessarily explosive attacking stuff.
- Sporting Kansas City’s high-pressure ways, so expertly coordinated in terms of when to press as a unit, made things tough on Real Salt Lake. The visitors never found the passing rhythm for which Jason Kreis’ teams are known.
- The early corner kicks by Graham Zusi and Bobby Convey were brutal. Surprisingly so. But Zusi began finding the sweet spot on his deliveries, including the game-winning assist to Collin.
- That assist matched Thierry Henry’s in New York, which means Zusi still leads the league (and Henry) by one.
- Speaking of corner kicks, it’s awful tough to see where the foul was on C.J. Sapong’s disallowed first-half goal.
- If you watch the impact Kei Kamara continually has on matches, including a lot of laudable help on SKC’s defensive end, and then compare it to the impact-Lite that Convey is supplying on the opposite wing, it’s not even close.
- The only sore point Saturday for Sporting Kansas City: Peter Vermes’ team did, finally, allow a shot on goal. So the streak was snapped at a remarkable 335 minutes.
- That shot on goal? By the end, RSL center back Nat Borchers was playing as another forward, as RSL resorted the old faithful of late, playing-from-behind tactics, pushing long balls hopefully into the penalty area. Borchers got onto one to direct a header on goal, which Jimmy Neilsen handled comfortably.
- Last shot on goal against Sporting Kansas City before Borchers’ header: March 25.
- Real Salt Lake went to a 4-3-3 for the last 15 minutes and did find space not previously available, mostly out on the right wing, where Fabian Espindola gave left back Seth Sinovic some trouble.
- Roger Espinoza had another busy, effective night as the left-sided man in SKC’s midfield triangle. Like Collin, he’s a highly useful and skillful individual when he plays under control.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:37 AM EST
Will Clyne stay at Saints or move to one of the big boys?
Feb 26, 2015, 11:37 PM EST
It’s red — lots of red — and “All For One.” Do you dig it?
Feb 26, 2015, 11:10 PM EST
Petr Cech has been in plenty of PK shootouts for Chelsea, but Courtois has never done it.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EST
*sigh* Another MLS team gets hammered in CCL, and we’re (probably) down to one last hope.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
It’s a who’s-who of USMNT, USWNT and MLS stars who are now eligible for the U.S. Soccer HOF.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:51 PM EST
A 550-pound British bomb was found near Dortmund’s stadium on Thursday. That’s a little bit crazy.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
Five years, $300 million — the going rate for prime real estate on a top PL team’s jersey.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:05 PM EST
The Premier League’s nightmare week in European competition continued on Thursday.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
It took kicks to settle the UEFA Europa League tie between Besiktas and Liverpool after both clubs won 1-0 home legs.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
The shots may’ve been even, but Spurs had 2/3 possession for much of the night.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:36 PM EST
Cummings’ manager is backing him up, too, and the Scotland U-19 forward has 11 goals in 23 matches for Hibs this season.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
If you believe the words from Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen on local radio last night, you probably want to prepare for a work stoppage in MLS.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EST
It had to be a terrifying incident for the team, let alone the player.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Kickoff is at 8pm ET, with the return leg in DC on Wednesday.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
Koeman, like many of us, thinks it’s a little wild to keep talking about 2022 in 2015.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 AM EST
Gone for now is the trademark ponytail due to the cancer battle, but Jonas’ spirit has been and will be a big boost for the Magpies.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:25 AM EST
Dunkin’ Donuts has issued an apology after their doctoring of the Liverpool logo offended some fans.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:39 AM EST
Scholes, 40, would be a high-profile move for the Latics, and Oldham says it won’t rush to hire a replacement.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:48 AM EST
He was without a team for a while, exploring other European clubs before deciding to return to New England.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
The midfielder takes a quick dribble and lashes a left-footed shot that pings off the inside of the net and rockets around the back.
- Report: Chelsea join Manchester United in chase for Nathaniel Clyne 1
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 1
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 8
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1