Apr 14, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
Levante made it tough for Barcelona on Saturday, and although the match didn’t end without controversy, we still got what we’ve come to expect: A Barcelona win, and a couple of Lionel Messi goals.
An early (generously given) penalty kick put the underdogs up early, giving Levante a 1-0 lead they took into half time.
Apparently, the break gave Lionel Messi enough time to find a new controller, because in the second half, his personal version of FIFA resumed.
The first goal was a Messi special: give, move, strike. This time he didn’t quite get his shot around the opposing `keeper (Gustavo Munúa), but it had enough power to get through his hands to find nylon.
Goal number two is where the controversy comes. Conspiracy theorists are already insisting the call was too generous, but from the reverse angle (behind the goal) you see Pedro Botelho put two hands on Isaac Cuenca and ride him to ground. Even if the foul was not severe enough for some, it was a foul, and when those occur in penalty areas, penalty kicks occur.
Firing into the upper right of goal, Messi sealed Barcelona’s victory, returning Real Madrid’s lead to four points.
OK – enough from me. Here are your highlights:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
It’s early days, but while City close the gap, Manchester United have yet to act.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With a buy-out in his contract, Villas-Boas likely will be given a choice between Paris and London.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Steve Bruce reunites with a player he brought to Wigan Athletic.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Tahiti are a great story, but nobody wins when small countries get slaughtered by the world’s top teams.
Jun 17, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
The U.S. midfielder has successfully completed the concussion recovery protocol:
Jun 17, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
So just how serious are PSG? Word has it they’re ready to break the Premier League transfer record.
Jun 17, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
“It will be difficult to leave the Rapids after growing so close to the club and the fans in Colorado,” Mastroeni said in a statement.
Jun 17, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
If Tahiti are to score the goals will likely come from one of four Tehau family members: Lorenzo, Alvin, Teaonui or Jonathan.
Jun 17, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Justice has been served in Holland where six teenagers have been convicted of manslaughter for their part in kicking a linesman to death.
Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part III: Shunning complacency, and his second season at Tottenham Hotspur
Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
In the last of three parts in ProSoccerTalk’s exclusive interview, Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey talks about expectations for his second go-round at White Hart Lane:
Jun 17, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
You know that cute little heart sign Gareth Bale makes every time he scores a goal? It’s about to get him paid.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:07 AM EDT
Joe Kinnear, the man who drove Newcastle to relegation in 2008-09, is returning to the club as the director of football.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
In the second of three parts in ProSoccerTalk’s exclusive interview, Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey talks a little about London and his American roots:
Jun 17, 2013, 7:19 AM EDT
“Robert will definitely be playing for Borussia Dortmund next season,” said BVB general manager Hans-Joachim Watzke.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
Big saves and red cards
Jun 16, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Villas-Boas, Laudrup have been linked. One makes sense, but should both show their EPL clubs loyalty?
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we needed a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 0
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- This André Villas-Boas to Paris Saint-Germain link makes more sense by the day 0
- Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part III: Shunning complacency, and his second season at Tottenham Hotspur 2
- Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part II: London calling 1
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public