Apr 14, 2012, 9:53 PM EDT
Here’s a little sidebar to the Red Bulls’ 2-2 tie Saturday with visiting San Jose, one that will have legs this week, I guarantee.
We’ll be talking about Red Bulls Mexican international midfielder Rafa Marquez. Again.
That man is a distraction waiting to happen for Hans Backe’s team, which is doing OK otherwise. (Well, except for a back line broken right now by injury.)
Marquez had been tangling with San Jose attacker Shea Salinas on corner kicks in the first half. Why? Good question. Salinas, a tricky and creative winger, is hardly the Earthquakes’ chief aerial threat on restarts. But Marquez had the man wrapped up like fish from the market.
And he apparently perfected the craft. Watch the clip. Watch what should certainly have been a penalty kick, as Marquez rides Salinas like a prize pony. But watch very closely at the end. Watch as Marquez, who knows all the little tricks, kicks the stuffing out of a fallen Salinas with his right foot.
Hard to say whether Salinas’ broken clavicle (yes, he left the match with a broken clavicle from this play) was from the fall or from Marquez’s sneaky kick. On the other hand, does it really matter?
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Something in common for Jurgen Klinsmann, Alex Ferguson 1
- Brek Shea in trouble? After crazy Stoke City prank goes wrong 7
- Copa del Rey final: Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid 3
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago