Apr 15, 2012, 10:50 AM EST
Dallas sits fourth at the moment in the Western Conference, not bad considering the injuries still grinding on Schellas Hyndman’s team. So it might be easy to look at Perez’s contributions and say things are going OK.
But a deeper look shows how the Panamanian newcomer is doing more than OK. Much more. In fact, saying he’s making a contribution to the attack at FC Dallas stadium is like saying flour “contributes” to good biscuits. (It’s Sunday morning; biscuits are on my mind.)
Fact is, without Perez FCD would be a club of strong defense and pretty much no offense. Carlos Rodriguez is playing on one wing; he’s a decent, young defender forced into midfield due to injuries and other circumstances. Meanwhile, Shea hasn’t found his feet yet in 2012, although last night’s late game-winner may go far in getting Dallas’ left winger off the runway.
Meanwhile, here’s the great take-away where Perez is concerned: He has contributed along the way to every FCD goal this year. That’s right, every one – which is exactly why everyone thought he was among the most prudent off-season additions around MLS. His ability to occupy defenders, to hold balls effectively as a target presence and his clever passing have served in assistance each time Dallas has found goal.
Watch his goal from last night, and then see his flick-on that helped arrange Shea’s late heroics.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)