Apr 15, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
Dallas sits fourth at the moment in the Western Conference, not bad considering the injuries still grinding on Schellas Hyndman’s team. So it might be easy to look at Perez’s contributions and say things are going OK.
But a deeper look shows how the Panamanian newcomer is doing more than OK. Much more. In fact, saying he’s making a contribution to the attack at FC Dallas stadium is like saying flour “contributes” to good biscuits. (It’s Sunday morning; biscuits are on my mind.)
Fact is, without Perez FCD would be a club of strong defense and pretty much no offense. Carlos Rodriguez is playing on one wing; he’s a decent, young defender forced into midfield due to injuries and other circumstances. Meanwhile, Shea hasn’t found his feet yet in 2012, although last night’s late game-winner may go far in getting Dallas’ left winger off the runway.
Meanwhile, here’s the great take-away where Perez is concerned: He has contributed along the way to every FCD goal this year. That’s right, every one – which is exactly why everyone thought he was among the most prudent off-season additions around MLS. His ability to occupy defenders, to hold balls effectively as a target presence and his clever passing have served in assistance each time Dallas has found goal.
Watch his goal from last night, and then see his flick-on that helped arrange Shea’s late heroics.
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 0
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 11
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 5
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 2