Apr 15, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
Dallas sits fourth at the moment in the Western Conference, not bad considering the injuries still grinding on Schellas Hyndman’s team. So it might be easy to look at Perez’s contributions and say things are going OK.
But a deeper look shows how the Panamanian newcomer is doing more than OK. Much more. In fact, saying he’s making a contribution to the attack at FC Dallas stadium is like saying flour “contributes” to good biscuits. (It’s Sunday morning; biscuits are on my mind.)
Fact is, without Perez FCD would be a club of strong defense and pretty much no offense. Carlos Rodriguez is playing on one wing; he’s a decent, young defender forced into midfield due to injuries and other circumstances. Meanwhile, Shea hasn’t found his feet yet in 2012, although last night’s late game-winner may go far in getting Dallas’ left winger off the runway.
Meanwhile, here’s the great take-away where Perez is concerned: He has contributed along the way to every FCD goal this year. That’s right, every one – which is exactly why everyone thought he was among the most prudent off-season additions around MLS. His ability to occupy defenders, to hold balls effectively as a target presence and his clever passing have served in assistance each time Dallas has found goal.
Watch his goal from last night, and then see his flick-on that helped arrange Shea’s late heroics.
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 1
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 1
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 4
- Manchester City 2-0 Watford: Sterling scores, hosts make history in comfortable win 0
- Watch Live: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Callum Wilson’s bicycle kick lifts Bournemouth into an early lead 0