Apr 15, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
Sadly, when we talk about the recent “tragedy in soccer” these days, we have to be more specific.
Saturday’s terrible news, of course, is of Livorno midfielder Piermario Morosini, who died after suffering cardiac arrest and collapsing on the field during a Serie B match at Pescara. He was 25.
The grim rundown of other sad news in our game:
Just last month, Barcelona announced that Eric Abidal would require a liver transplant.
The France international had previously been diagnosed with liver cancer, back in March 2011. (Just two-and-a-half months after undergoing a three-hour operation to remove the tumor, Barca’s left back played in the Champions League final win over Manchester United at Wembley.)
In February, Bolton’s Fabrice Muamba collapsed after suffering a cardiac arrest in a match against Tottenham. He has since recovered enough to leave the hospital.
Just three weeks ago, Aston Villa captain Stilian Petrov was diagnosed with acute leukaemia. He is currently undergoing treatment at a London hospital.
And last November, the shocking suicide Wales manager and noted, former Newcastle United man Gary Speed rocked the soccer world.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final