Apr 16, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Man of the match: Playing as the middle-man in Wigan’s narrow, deep, three-man central defense, Gary Caldwell was not only the Latics’ best defender but also the man that kept the team organized. Given a game plan that was always going to put a lot of pressure on him and his teammates, Caldwell was calm, poised, and able to radiate that presence throughout the defense.
Packaged for takeaway:
- OMG! Shock! Well, kinda. The win was Wigan’s fourth in five and seems part of the late-season push we should expect from Roberto Martínez’s teams. During this one they’ve gotten wins from Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. Should we really be that shocked?
- Arsenal was certainly shocked when Wigan went up within 10 minutes, as were onlookers by Gunners’ defending. A text book counterattack allowed the Latics to score their first goal, but the key to a that kind of transition is your opponent opening up. On the second goal, Victor Moses was able to collapse the right side of Arsenal’s defense and, eventually, feed an easy ball into the six for Jordi Gómez.
- When Arsenal soon responded through Thomas Vermaelen it looked like we were in for a shootout, but Wigan seemed to adjust. Through the first 20 minutes Wigan’s midfield played very deep and refrained from putting in a challenges that could see them beat. After the goal, the midfield (particularly, James McArthur and Jamie McCarthy) got more aggressive.
- Even before Wigan’s midfield toughened up, Arsenal’s only success was playing crosses into the box. Their goal came off a cross, while Yossi Benayoun went close a couple of times by out-jumping Antolín Alcaraz. Curiously, Arsenal stopped doing this and even (eventually) took Benayoun off. Predictably, they tried to break down Wigan while keeping the ball on the floor, an approach which never came that close to an equalizer.
- It’s matches like this that make people question Arsene Wenger’s in-game tactics. Disclaimer: He knows his team better than we do. However, why does Marouane Chamakh even dress if he’s not going to be used in this type of match? Particularly when playing in the air gave Arsenal their first goal and their best chances?
- Wigan is now five points clear of the drop and, more importantly, have a struggling team (QPR) between them and relegation. For Arsenal, they still have a five point lead on fourth and will be fine. Wigan’s shown they’re pretty good right now.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 0
- Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid, rejects new contract 0
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 10
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2