Apr 16, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Man of the match: Playing as the middle-man in Wigan’s narrow, deep, three-man central defense, Gary Caldwell was not only the Latics’ best defender but also the man that kept the team organized. Given a game plan that was always going to put a lot of pressure on him and his teammates, Caldwell was calm, poised, and able to radiate that presence throughout the defense.
Packaged for takeaway:
- OMG! Shock! Well, kinda. The win was Wigan’s fourth in five and seems part of the late-season push we should expect from Roberto Martínez’s teams. During this one they’ve gotten wins from Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. Should we really be that shocked?
- Arsenal was certainly shocked when Wigan went up within 10 minutes, as were onlookers by Gunners’ defending. A text book counterattack allowed the Latics to score their first goal, but the key to a that kind of transition is your opponent opening up. On the second goal, Victor Moses was able to collapse the right side of Arsenal’s defense and, eventually, feed an easy ball into the six for Jordi Gómez.
- When Arsenal soon responded through Thomas Vermaelen it looked like we were in for a shootout, but Wigan seemed to adjust. Through the first 20 minutes Wigan’s midfield played very deep and refrained from putting in a challenges that could see them beat. After the goal, the midfield (particularly, James McArthur and Jamie McCarthy) got more aggressive.
- Even before Wigan’s midfield toughened up, Arsenal’s only success was playing crosses into the box. Their goal came off a cross, while Yossi Benayoun went close a couple of times by out-jumping Antolín Alcaraz. Curiously, Arsenal stopped doing this and even (eventually) took Benayoun off. Predictably, they tried to break down Wigan while keeping the ball on the floor, an approach which never came that close to an equalizer.
- It’s matches like this that make people question Arsene Wenger’s in-game tactics. Disclaimer: He knows his team better than we do. However, why does Marouane Chamakh even dress if he’s not going to be used in this type of match? Particularly when playing in the air gave Arsenal their first goal and their best chances?
- Wigan is now five points clear of the drop and, more importantly, have a struggling team (QPR) between them and relegation. For Arsenal, they still have a five point lead on fourth and will be fine. Wigan’s shown they’re pretty good right now.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
Another month out for Sturridge, just when Liverpool’s top-four dreams rest on his shoulders the most.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
You couldn’t get this one anymore wrong, UEFA. 10-times worse than racism? Not OK.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EDT
Solo said her 30-day suspension was full of therapy, apologies to her teammates and getting herself right for this summer’s World Cup.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
This weekend’s EURO 2016 qualifiers marks the halfway point of the group stage, which means it’s do-or-die time for a few hopefuls, and some giants.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The “Special One” received a rather special amount of cash in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Reports claim Pjanic is ready to leave Roma after four years in the Italian capital.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Xavi is heading to Qatar on a three-year deal, will get paid $11 million per season.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Here’s a look at the players with the highest revenue in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Blues legend extends his stay at the Bridge.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
When he’s not ripping apart Premier League defenses, Sanchez loves to unwind by tickling the ivory.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EDT
Barcelona ace had a pretty decent 2014…
Mar 26, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Shakhtar’s star striker set to leave in December when his contract runs out.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
Saints midfielder speaks of his desire to play in the UCL, reassess his future this summer.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Ronaldo could be in trouble after enticing Barca’s fans.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Walcott denies a “bust-up” with Wenger over contract talks.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:58 AM EDT
The German international playmaker is aiming to join the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s of this world.
Mar 25, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
The MLS disciplinary committee was busy after this last weekend.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
All the priceless images and marketable moments from the Argentinian national team’s visit to the Verizon Center.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Having won just about every possible trophy in his five years at the Bernabeu, the German is moving on.
Mar 25, 2015, 7:58 PM EDT
The D.C. United midfielder appears to be getting off lightly, and the Red Bull captain isn’t pleased.
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 2
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6
- Player ratings: How did the USMNT fare in defeat to Denmark? 5