Apr 16, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Let’s try to head something off straight-away.
The new U.S. home jersey is out. Why clubs and national teams bow to the apparel giants, habitually developing new kits to squeeze more hard-earned money from supporters, only they could say. But since the horse is well out of the consumer-protection barn on that, no need to waste breath and calories griping about it.
But this one, maybe we can do something about:
The new design, as you can see, is striped. Only some will insist on calling those “hoops.” And they will be wrong.
They will tell you that “hoops” is tradition. Only, it’s not tradition – not where we live.
I suppose it’s tradition if you live in the United Kingdom. In which case you also say “lift” instead of elevator, “torch” instead of flashlight, “biscuit” instead of cookie, etc.
Oh, and you love the extraneous “u,” so you include it in words such as “colour.” Furthermore, your center backs or central defenders are actually centre halves.
Which is all fine. If, that is, you’re actually from the United Kingdom or live there now.
For everyone else, you probably agree that you’d look like a goofball Anglophile poseur if you asked for a “biscuit” with your ice cream or walked someone to the “lift.” In some neighborhoods, you’d risk a proper butt kicking for that kind of silliness.
So why would you describe this jersey has being adorned with “hoops?”
Only, I bet you a case of your favorite Girl Scout biscuits that some folks will.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park