Apr 16, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Let’s try to head something off straight-away.
The new U.S. home jersey is out. Why clubs and national teams bow to the apparel giants, habitually developing new kits to squeeze more hard-earned money from supporters, only they could say. But since the horse is well out of the consumer-protection barn on that, no need to waste breath and calories griping about it.
But this one, maybe we can do something about:
The new design, as you can see, is striped. Only some will insist on calling those “hoops.” And they will be wrong.
They will tell you that “hoops” is tradition. Only, it’s not tradition – not where we live.
I suppose it’s tradition if you live in the United Kingdom. In which case you also say “lift” instead of elevator, “torch” instead of flashlight, “biscuit” instead of cookie, etc.
Oh, and you love the extraneous “u,” so you include it in words such as “colour.” Furthermore, your center backs or central defenders are actually centre halves.
Which is all fine. If, that is, you’re actually from the United Kingdom or live there now.
For everyone else, you probably agree that you’d look like a goofball Anglophile poseur if you asked for a “biscuit” with your ice cream or walked someone to the “lift.” In some neighborhoods, you’d risk a proper butt kicking for that kind of silliness.
So why would you describe this jersey has being adorned with “hoops?”
Only, I bet you a case of your favorite Girl Scout biscuits that some folks will.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect