Apr 16, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
Major League Soccer’s Round 6:
- Chivas USA’s Dan Kennedy
Rationale, motive and intent: Chivas USA’s No. 1 needed to be big near the end in Toronto as the Goats secured their third road win of 2012. He was also Major League Soccer’s Player of the Week (separate from ProSoccerTalk’s Player of the Week.)
- San Jose’s Steven Beitashour
- Kansas City’s Aurelien Collin
- Los Angeles’ David Junior Lopes
- Seattle’s Zach Scott
Rationale, motive and intent: Scott was Seattle’s right back Saturday, scoring against Colorado and holding down his side with a starter’s verve, never mind that he’s a seldom-used backup. David Junior Lopes won’t make anyone around the Home Depot Center forget about Omar Gonzalez, but his debut in a Galaxy shirt was solid enough. (One caveat, it came against struggling Portland, so we’ll see about this one …)
- D.C. United’s Perry Kitchen
- Seattle’s Osvaldo Alonso
- San Jose’s Rafael Baca
- Kansas City Roger Espinoza
- Philadelphia’s Keon Daniel
Rationale, motive and intent: Lots of defensive-minded midfielders in this one. Kitchen played perhaps his best match this year for United. Baca was on top of things after a slow start in his team’s 2-2 draw in New York. Daniel, skillful on offense and defense and always busy on the Union’s left side, is one of Major League Soccer’s underrated men this year.
- FC Dallas’ Blas Perez
Rationale, motive and intent: I pretty much covered it yesterday in a post about Perez. Short version: he’s a bustling bit of industry and finds plenty of ways to make a positive impact. Saturday it was a goal and an assist.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Picking matches in the Premier League is darn near impossible but somebody has to do it.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
“Right now the media are getting AVB to do exactly what they want him to do, which is react and get upset,” Martino said.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
Chicago Fire forward Mike Magee was voted the Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2013 season.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
EXCLUSIVE — Howard and Bradley agree huge task awaits in Brazil, but progress past the quarterfinal stage is still the aim:
Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
Pele’s reluctance to help draw the balls stems from his reputation in Brazil as a ‘pe-fri’, or ‘cold foot’.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
“I can’t really see women in football. I don’t like to say it but that’s how it is,” Gattuso said.
Dec 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
“The impact of one of the studs on the thigh bone in the right leg has caused extensive hemorrhaging,” the Bayern doctor said.
Dec 5, 2013, 7:59 AM EST
In this article we provide everything you need to know about Friday’s World Cup Draw.
Dec 5, 2013, 7:18 AM EST
An alternative look at all the PL action from match day 14:
Dec 5, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Four weeks ago, Benny Feilhaber wasn’t starting for Kansas City. Now, the former U.S. international’s experiencing a postseason revival.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
Nine matches. 32 goals. All in one place.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Olave, Johnson, and Espindola left, but despite what this year’s narrative said, RSL didn’t rebuild. They merely reloaded.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
What do you remember about the team’s penalty kick win over the LA Galaxy?
Dec 4, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
Peter Vermes’ MLS Cup finalist can still press and pressure – but there are more winning ways in the playbook now:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Back at RFK at the turn of the new Millennium, staunch defense helped KC to its one and only MLS Cup:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
Arsenal stays four clear while Everton sparks debate as to whether they upgraded after David Moyes’ departure.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Moyes says lack of “fortune” hurt United after Red Devils lose yet another home game:
Dec 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
The visitors hit Southampton with quick breaks, coming away with a win and proving that possession is, in fact, just nine-tenths of the law.
West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Two from Yaya Touré and an opener from Kun Agüero helped City address their road demons.
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 0
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 3
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)