Apr 17, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
Man of the Match: After a solid match that saw him hold down his side of defense, Philipp Lahm made is happened at the end. He skinned Fabio Coentrao and delivered a final ball through the six that Mario Gomez couldn’t miss. (Steve does rightfully point out that Lahm was one of the players culpable on the Real Madrid goal.)
Packaged for takeway:
- If you missed it, PST’s play-by-play of the match.
- It wasn’t the first time Fabio Coentrão’d gone to ground while attempted in ill-advised challenge. In the 90th minute when Philipp Lahm has the ball 30 yards from goal, just keep him in front of you. There’s no need to try that challenge.
- The goal tipped the scales on a match that was relatively even. Bayern was probably slightly better over the full 90, but 1-1 would have been a just result.
- But although Bayern grabbed a winner, they gave away that valuable away goal, getting caught in transition before Real generated an easy tap-in for Mesut Ozil.
- If I’m Jupp Heynckes, I’m still worried about how my central defense will hold up. The times Real Madrid tried to play through Karim Benzema were their best moments of the match. Bayern is lucky Real didn’t do that more often.
- Starting Toni Kroos over Thomas Muller was a small surprise, but it provided a great balance for Bayern. Having a man in the middle to help switch play (mostly over to Arjen Robben) may have been more valuable than somebody more apt to play forward.
- Franck Ribery was embarrassing. Four times he exaggerated fouls in the effort to win calls or penalty kicks. Credit to Howard Webb for keeping his cards in his pocket.
- However, there were two dangerous Real Madrid tackles that should have gotten great punishment. Marcelo chopped down Müller from behind with a kick to the ankle late in the match, while Sergio Ramos slid through the ankles of Thomas Muller attempting to play a ball from the wrong side. Nobody likes red cards, but these types of plays are too dangerous to be treated like professional fouls.
- For Bayern, it would have been a major hit had they not won today. Gomez’s late goal give them a boost ahead of next Wednesday. For Real, they may be temporarily deflated, but they got a road goal. They’re still in the driver’s seat for Munich, something they can worry about after Saturday’s Clásico.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
Aug 3, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bobby Zamora has returned to his old club 12 years after leaving, and Brighton fans couldn’t be more excited.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Gonzalo Higuain won’t be leaving Napoli this summer, but he’s not impressed by the club’s feeble attempt at a contract extension.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
A massive blow to Juventus puts them on alert for midfield cover.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Liverpool has spent big for the second straight summer, but it appears the Reds may have learned a valuable lesson.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Rafael’s rocky seven-year tenure with Manchester United is over as he heads to France.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Not a great deal has changed in the world of Premier League goalkeepers this offseason, but among the differences is a huge one: Petr Cech has moved from Chelsea to Arsenal.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
PST selects the strongest XI’s for each PL team ahead of the 2015-16 season. Let us know what you think.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Ronaldo is not happy. Not at all.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Forwards both left off Real’s Audi Cup squad after training ground injuries.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
All of the latest gossip from around the PL, right here.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Wenger and Mourinho’s feud continues, but should both manager’s bite the bullet and make up?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
PSG’s skipper Silva is risking the wrath of United’s fans around the globe.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Real Madrid superstar is a baller on and off the pitch.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
Eagles sign young English striker from Black Cats.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
Costa remains a huge injury worry for Chelsea heading into the new season.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
David Accam helped lead Chicago Fire over FC Dallas to end the visitors five-game winning streak.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Xavi gets up for preseason friendlies, and in his first match for his new club, the 35-year-old rips a classic free kick.
Aug 2, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Diego Valeri missed a penalty as neither side could take advantage of its few big chances.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1