Apr 17, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
Man of the Match: After a solid match that saw him hold down his side of defense, Philipp Lahm made is happened at the end. He skinned Fabio Coentrao and delivered a final ball through the six that Mario Gomez couldn’t miss. (Steve does rightfully point out that Lahm was one of the players culpable on the Real Madrid goal.)
Packaged for takeway:
- If you missed it, PST’s play-by-play of the match.
- It wasn’t the first time Fabio Coentrão’d gone to ground while attempted in ill-advised challenge. In the 90th minute when Philipp Lahm has the ball 30 yards from goal, just keep him in front of you. There’s no need to try that challenge.
- The goal tipped the scales on a match that was relatively even. Bayern was probably slightly better over the full 90, but 1-1 would have been a just result.
- But although Bayern grabbed a winner, they gave away that valuable away goal, getting caught in transition before Real generated an easy tap-in for Mesut Ozil.
- If I’m Jupp Heynckes, I’m still worried about how my central defense will hold up. The times Real Madrid tried to play through Karim Benzema were their best moments of the match. Bayern is lucky Real didn’t do that more often.
- Starting Toni Kroos over Thomas Muller was a small surprise, but it provided a great balance for Bayern. Having a man in the middle to help switch play (mostly over to Arjen Robben) may have been more valuable than somebody more apt to play forward.
- Franck Ribery was embarrassing. Four times he exaggerated fouls in the effort to win calls or penalty kicks. Credit to Howard Webb for keeping his cards in his pocket.
- However, there were two dangerous Real Madrid tackles that should have gotten great punishment. Marcelo chopped down Müller from behind with a kick to the ankle late in the match, while Sergio Ramos slid through the ankles of Thomas Muller attempting to play a ball from the wrong side. Nobody likes red cards, but these types of plays are too dangerous to be treated like professional fouls.
- For Bayern, it would have been a major hit had they not won today. Gomez’s late goal give them a boost ahead of next Wednesday. For Real, they may be temporarily deflated, but they got a road goal. They’re still in the driver’s seat for Munich, something they can worry about after Saturday’s Clásico.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
Manager Jose Mourinho believes the Belgian international will have a new deal in place at Stamford Bridge within a month.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Maxi Urruti and Fabian Espindola both snatched braces as MLS sides went atop their groups.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Despite saying in June he would step down after the World Cup, the former Real Madrid manager has made a U-turn.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
USMNT captain Clint Dempsey was Seattle’s savior in extra time as he delivered the winner in a 3-1 win and lifted his first-ever club trophy.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
President of Toronto’s ownership group, Tim Leiweke had harsh words for the Toronto FC locker room. Michael Bradley disagrees.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Insanely strict new rules proposed by FA chairman Greg Dyke would eliminate non-EU players from the lower leagues completely and slash the amount in the Premier League by around 50%.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
We now know why Jonas Gutierrez has barely featured for Newcastle in the last year or so.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
The man who can’t stay on the pitch has tweaked a very problematic part of his body.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Benzema bags Real’s fifth goal on Tuesday, which turned out to be their 1000th goal in continental competitions. Wowza.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
Gerrard scores last-gasp winner, but Liverpool under-performed again in narrow win.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Arsenal’s captain notes the danger of falling behind at BVB, while Klopp calls his teams performance “nearly perfection.”
Sep 16, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Contrasting fortunes for PL sides, as eight games kick off the new UCL season. Find out what happened, right here.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
A dominant performance from the 2012-13 finalists made easy work of the visiting Gunners.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Dramatic finale at Anfield as Liverpool leave it late to beat Bulgarian minnows.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Okay, so it’s 66.5 goals but you know the rules of rounding and Diego Costa is your proverbial example of being on fire.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Real fly out of the traps, while Arsenal are caught on their heels. Updates on all eight games, right here.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
Remember that time Jose Mourinho told Frank Lampard he was the best player in the world … in the shower? No? Oh, right. That’s because you have to watch this.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Kaka was obvious, but who else is making the move from USL PRO to Major League Soccer next season?
Sep 16, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The fairly-even history between Philadelphia and Seattle meets at a momentous crossroads tonight at PPL Park in Chester.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Manchester United, Aston Villa leap up the list after impressive wins on the weekend.
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 6
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 5
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0