Apr 17, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
Man of the Match: After a solid match that saw him hold down his side of defense, Philipp Lahm made is happened at the end. He skinned Fabio Coentrao and delivered a final ball through the six that Mario Gomez couldn’t miss. (Steve does rightfully point out that Lahm was one of the players culpable on the Real Madrid goal.)
Packaged for takeway:
- If you missed it, PST’s play-by-play of the match.
- It wasn’t the first time Fabio Coentrão’d gone to ground while attempted in ill-advised challenge. In the 90th minute when Philipp Lahm has the ball 30 yards from goal, just keep him in front of you. There’s no need to try that challenge.
- The goal tipped the scales on a match that was relatively even. Bayern was probably slightly better over the full 90, but 1-1 would have been a just result.
- But although Bayern grabbed a winner, they gave away that valuable away goal, getting caught in transition before Real generated an easy tap-in for Mesut Ozil.
- If I’m Jupp Heynckes, I’m still worried about how my central defense will hold up. The times Real Madrid tried to play through Karim Benzema were their best moments of the match. Bayern is lucky Real didn’t do that more often.
- Starting Toni Kroos over Thomas Muller was a small surprise, but it provided a great balance for Bayern. Having a man in the middle to help switch play (mostly over to Arjen Robben) may have been more valuable than somebody more apt to play forward.
- Franck Ribery was embarrassing. Four times he exaggerated fouls in the effort to win calls or penalty kicks. Credit to Howard Webb for keeping his cards in his pocket.
- However, there were two dangerous Real Madrid tackles that should have gotten great punishment. Marcelo chopped down Müller from behind with a kick to the ankle late in the match, while Sergio Ramos slid through the ankles of Thomas Muller attempting to play a ball from the wrong side. Nobody likes red cards, but these types of plays are too dangerous to be treated like professional fouls.
- For Bayern, it would have been a major hit had they not won today. Gomez’s late goal give them a boost ahead of next Wednesday. For Real, they may be temporarily deflated, but they got a road goal. They’re still in the driver’s seat for Munich, something they can worry about after Saturday’s Clásico.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Who’s more interesting than Jurgen Klopp?
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Alves is ready to move to the Premier League. So what clubs might he fit in?
Oct 1, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
A great deal for the Revs, who will be able to add Sporting players on loan much like NYCFC can add Manchester City players.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Maradona pledged his support for the Palestinian cause back in 2012.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Liverpool’s struggles continue. Here’s three things we learned as they remain winless in four.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
Take in a top-flight football match anywhere in Turkey and you’ll be hard-pressed not to see at least a few flares among the fans.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
After eight games on Wednesday, here’s what happened around Europe.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Gunners provided one of their most stunning performances of the season on Wednesday, dismantling Group D opponents Galatasaray 4-1.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Lackluster Liverpool now level on points with Basel, face Real Madrid in next two matches.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
A first-half brace from Danny Welbeck and a third from Alexis Sanchez handed Arsenal some breathing room against Galatasaray.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Arsenal are flying, so too are Leverkusen. Check out all the half time scores, here.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The Gunners opened the Champions League group stage in disappointing form, losing 2-0 to BVB.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Can the Reds make it two wins from two in the Champions League?
Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Zenit, Monaco remain top of Group C after a dour draw in Saint Petersburg.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Thierry Henry may be on his way out of New York City as turmoil at the top could drive him out.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The two sides had some internet fun after yesterday’s 1-1 Champions League draw.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
That Wayne Rooney implosion? You’re gonna need Rog and Davo to break it down.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The US fringe player picked a terrible time to be injured, with the international break on the horizon.
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 10